Regular Visitor

Re: Unable to Start Power BI Desktop (We weren't able to connect to the model)

I had issues on my brand new laptop as well with the July 2017 release. Installed the June release and worked without a problem.

Hi all,

We have a known issue with certain configurations of non-English versions of Windows. While we work on getting an updated build out there, please try the workaround outlined in this post: https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Issues/PBI-X64-error-July-2017-error-opening-We-weren-t-abble-to/id...

If this fix does not work, sharing log files would be a huge help. To get the log files:

1. Launch PowerBI Desktop and wait for the error message to be visible.  Do not close the error dialog.

2. Find the AnalysisServicesWorkspace folder for the session of PowerBI Desktop that you just launched.  The path will be something similar to c:\users\<YourName>\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Power BI Desktop\AnalysisServicesWorkspaces\AnalysisServicesWorkspace<random number>.

3. Zip up the contents of that folder or copy the contents to a file sharing service

Frequent Visitor

Just changing the format from English (world) to English (United States) in intl.cpl worked for me, now I can use Power BI in the laptop. 

Thanks

Great! We are including a fix for this in the August release, due out this week. Keep an eye out for the blog announcing the release. 

Frequent Visitor

Thank you Kimani for this temporary solution. It works well when setting up the regional settings to English US but still no luck when setting them back to French. Waiting for the August release otherwise we will all become US citizens ... LOL

Regular Visitor

Woohoo! Glad it's getting a fix, I'll be patient a little while longer and wait for the august release Smiley Happy

This has been fixed in the August release of Power BI Desktop. Please install it and let us know if you run into any issues. https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/power-bi-desktop-august-2017-feature-summary/

Regular Visitor

The August update works for me. Although I did change my locale recently because SQL Server and SSDT were having some issues as well.

Frequent Visitor

Great, It works now with the August update. Thank you for that really much appreciated. Man Happy

Occasional Visitor

July version worked properly for some days , but now getting the same error.

unable to open.

IRRITATING..!!