Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

calm1kov
Regular Visitor

Unable to Start Power BI Desktop (We weren't able to connect to the model)

Hi,

I'm trying to launch Power BI desktop app on my laptop without success.

The error pop-up says:

Unable to Start Power BI Desktop 

We weren't able to connect to the model

Any help appreciated.

81 REPLIES 81
poujor
Regular Visitor

I'm having major issues with the July 2017 release.  I have tried the following suggestions:

https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/powerbi-desktop-error-launching-desktop/

And this one I found somewhere:
a. Start Command Prompt as an administrator by right-clicking it and selecting "Run as administrator."
b. Enter the this command to reset the network adapter: "netsh winsock reset" without the quotation marks and hit Enter.
c. Restart the computer.

None of them work.

Then I created a fresh install of a virtual WIndows 10 64 bit (1703). Here I installed the July Power BI Desktop and got the same error

PBI Desktop.png

Above sugestions of resetting winsock and running as Adminstrator does not make anything better Smiley Surprised

Additionally I find some error entries in the Application Log when trying to Launch it.

Additionally i get an entry in a kernel Windows eventlog. I insert this saved as JSON as Code below:

[
    {
        "MachineName":  "Win10-PowerBI",
        "Data":  [

],
        "Index":  407,
        "Category":  "(289)",
        "CategoryNumber":  289,
        "EventID":  18939929,
        "EntryType":  1,
        "Message":  "The description for Event ID \u0027-1054801895\u0027 in Source \u0027MSOLAP$AnalysisServicesWorkspace1572025109\u0027 cannot be found.  The local computer may not have the necessary registry information or message DLL files to display the message, or you may not have permission to access them.  The following information is part of the event:\u0027msmdsrvi.rll\u0027, \u00278192\u0027",
        "Source":  "MSOLAP$AnalysisServicesWorkspace1572025109",
        "ReplacementStrings":  [
                                   "msmdsrvi.rll",
                                   "8192"
                               ],
        "InstanceId":  3240165401,
        "TimeGenerated":  "\/Date(1499357611000)\/",
        "TimeWritten":  "\/Date(1499357611000)\/",
        "UserName":  null,
        "Site":  null,
        "Container":  null
    },
    {

],
        "Index":  406,
        "Category":  "(289)",
        "CategoryNumber":  289,
        "EventID":  18939929,
        "Message":  "The description for Event ID \u0027-1054801895\u0027 in Source \u0027MSOLAP$AnalysisServicesWorkspace1572025109\u0027 cannot be found.  The local computer may not have the necessary registry information or message DLL files to display the message, or you may not have permission to access them.  The following information is part of the event:\u0027msmdsrvi.rll\u0027, \u00278192\u0027",
                                   "msmdsrvi.rll",
                                   "8192"
                               ],
        "InstanceId":  3240165401,
        "TimeGenerated":  "\/Date(1499357611000)\/",
        "TimeWritten":  "\/Date(1499357611000)\/",
    },
    {

],
        "Index":  399,
        "Category":  "(294)",
        "CategoryNumber":  294,
        "EventID":  19267595,
        "Message":  "The description for Event ID \u0027-1054474229\u0027 in Source \u0027MSOLAP$AnalysisServicesWorkspace1572025109\u0027 cannot be found.  The local computer may not have the necessary registry information or message DLL files to display the message, or you may not have permission to access them.  The following information is part of the event:\u0027\u0027",
                                   ""
                               ],
        "InstanceId":  3240493067,
        "TimeGenerated":  "\/Date(1499357607000)\/",
        "TimeWritten":  "\/Date(1499357607000)\/",
    },
    {
        "Id":  2,
        "Version":  0,
        "Qualifiers":  null,
        "Level":  2,
        "Task":  2,
        "Opcode":  12,
        "Keywords":  -9223372036854775792,
        "RecordId":  3,
        "ProviderName":  "Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-EventTracing",
        "ProviderId":  "b675ec37-bdb6-4648-bc92-f3fdc74d3ca2",
        "LogName":  "Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-EventTracing/Admin",
        "ProcessId":  4476,
        "ThreadId":  2764,
        "UserId":  {
                       "BinaryLength":  28,
                       "AccountDomainSid":  "S-1-5-21-2575896698-3351476891-589229321",
                       "Value":  "S-1-5-21-2575896698-3351476891-589229321-1001"
                   },
        "TimeCreated":  "\/Date(1499356849523)\/",
        "ActivityId":  null,
        "RelatedActivityId":  null,
        "ContainerLog":  "microsoft-windows-kernel-eventtracing/admin",
        "MatchedQueryIds":  [

],
        "Bookmark":  {

},
        "LevelDisplayName":  "Error",
        "OpcodeDisplayName":  "Start",
        "TaskDisplayName":  "Session",
        "KeywordsDisplayNames":  [
                                     "Session"
                                 ],
        "Properties":  [
                           "System.Diagnostics.Eventing.Reader.EventProperty",
                           "System.Diagnostics.Eventing.Reader.EventProperty"
                       ],
        "Message":  "Session \"MEngineTraceReaderSession\" failed to start with the following error: 0xC0000035"
    }
]

The 10 digit number after MSOLAP$AnalysisServicesWorkspace in the events seems to change for every try 😞

Is there any way to enable error logging by startup switch or so. IIt is impossible to enable Trace as it requires the ability to launch the application.

Uninstalling the July 2017 version and installing the June 2017. Gives a nice and functional Power BI Desktop Smiley Happy, but with new features missing Smiley Sad

prasasri

I have the same issue. I used Power BI for 5 months without a problem. After downloading the latest version of PBI I cannot launch it anymore. Tried to launch with Administrative rights, switched off all antivirus and other protection programs, no change. Seems many users have the same problem. Any suggestions?

I have recently run into the same issue and tried all the different solutions in this blog and even tried installing a previous version (what I believe is a previous version) of PowerBI. Any other ideas?

Facing the same issue. Tried to install the July released (version 2.48.4792.481). I had to reinstall the previous version. 

Facing the same issue. Tried to install the July released (version 2.48.4792.481). I had to reinstall the previous version. 

Abhijit_Bit

Hi.

Still I am facing same issues after experimenting all solutions. Please can anybody help me on this. I am using Windows 10. I have tried with Power BI 32 bit and 64 bit.

Shuwyyyy
Advocate I
Advocate I

So there still isn't any solution to this? 

AndyLeeZaiZai

Hi, 

I found this link and solved the same problem for me.

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/Power-BI-Desktop-will-not-launch/m-p/96985#M40860

But I didn't follow each step mentioned in the link. I just did the following three steps and it works for me.

a.Start Command Prompt as an administrator by right-clicking it and selecting "Run as administrator."

b.Enter the this command to reset the network adapter: "netsh winsock reset" without the quotation marks and hit Enter.

c.Restart the computer.

Note: I use 32-bit version instead of 64-bit version, if 64-bit version doesn't work you can try 32-bit version as well.

I hope this will help you.

Best regards,

An Li

susigan

i have the same issue ; NO one got some resolution for this probl;em?

I'm also having the same issue.  I just installed the August update for 2016.  Below is a copy of my error.

Error after update.PNG

Mike Carlo ( https://powerbi.tips )
mike@PowerBI.Tips

I have the same issue. I used Power BI for 5 months without a problem. After downloading the latest version of PBI I cannot launch it anymore. Tried to launch with Administrative rights, switched off all antivirus and other protection programs, no change. Seems many users have the same problem. Any suggestions?

SteveD
Advocate II
Advocate II

I also am not able to launch Power BI Desktop. My work PC which is 32 bit Windows 7 based system was updated yesterday and works fine. My home PC which is 64bit WIndows 10 wont launch. I've uninstalled and re-installed, dowloaded the latest version installed, un-installed and re-installed, even installed enterprise gateway as suggested in other posts all to no avail. any suggestion would be appreciated.

brifry

ditto here after using this pos for 3 weeks. uninstall re-install has no effect

I have the same issue. After downloading the latest version of PBI I cannot launch it anymore. Tried to launch with Administrative rights, switched off all antivirus and other protection programs, no change. Seems many users have the same problem. Any suggestions?

aunal

Have you ever changed your hosts (C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc) file? Can you retry by setting your hosts file as default.

adaml
Regular Visitor

That was my problem - I had re-directed localhost in my hosts file

Anonymous
Not applicable

I just raised a support ticket about this, let's hope at least someone will have a look at the issue. I tried all suggestions in the thread, but nothing has worked so far. Only going back to the June release works. Its fine if August fixes it, but I'd hate to be stuck on June forever on this machine...

I tried all suggestions too and I continue with this issue but I can't find the June version for 32 bits, so I can't work on my dashboards and reports, so I expect they can solve as soon as possible.

so, there is no official answer for this issue?

Sadly, this issue does not seem have resolution. After using Power BI for a long time, I had to move forward and used the software failure as justification to get Tableau with my manager...

Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm still holding out hope for the August release, but I have to admit I'm disappointed not to see any microsoft rep answer here. It's really serious issue (that hopefully affects only a small group of people). I'm just thankful my work PC still likes powerBI, otherwise I dont know what I would do....

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.