Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

calm1kov
Regular Visitor

Unable to Start Power BI Desktop (We weren't able to connect to the model)

Hi,

I'm trying to launch Power BI desktop app on my laptop without success.

The error pop-up says:

Unable to Start Power BI Desktop 

We weren't able to connect to the model

Any help appreciated.

81 REPLIES 81

I had issues on my brand new laptop as well with the July 2017 release. Installed the June release and worked without a problem.

Blog: sqlkover.com

Hi all,

We have a known issue with certain configurations of non-English versions of Windows. While we work on getting an updated build out there, please try the workaround outlined in this post: https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Issues/PBI-X64-error-July-2017-error-opening-We-weren-t-abble-to/id...

If this fix does not work, sharing log files would be a huge help. To get the log files:

1. Launch PowerBI Desktop and wait for the error message to be visible.  Do not close the error dialog.

2. Find the AnalysisServicesWorkspace folder for the session of PowerBI Desktop that you just launched.  The path will be something similar to c:\users\<YourName>\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Power BI Desktop\AnalysisServicesWorkspaces\AnalysisServicesWorkspace<random number>.

3. Zip up the contents of that folder or copy the contents to a file sharing service

Just changing the format from English (world) to English (United States) in intl.cpl worked for me, now I can use Power BI in the laptop. 

Thanks

Great! We are including a fix for this in the August release, due out this week. Keep an eye out for the blog announcing the release. 

Thank you Kimani for this temporary solution. It works well when setting up the regional settings to English US but still no luck when setting them back to French. Waiting for the August release otherwise we will all become US citizens ... LOL

Anonymous
Not applicable

Woohoo! Glad it's getting a fix, I'll be patient a little while longer and wait for the august release 🙂

Srikanth
Regular Visitor

I am also facing same issue.

Ops that I have done :

I installed Power BI in one of my remote servers (Power Bi application is working fine in other remote servers)

when I am trying to open Power BI launcher It is showing the message like below with Close button
    "Unable to Start Power BI Desktop (We weren't able to connect to the model)"

when i try to close that above message window, It showed me one more message with below text
    "Unexpected error (Object reference not set to an instance of an object)"

Error details are 
Error Message:

Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

Stack Trace:

System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.AnalysisServices.AnalysisServicesProcessMonitor.set_IsStopped(Boolean value)
at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.AnalysisServices.AnalysisServicesService.OnShutdown()
at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.BIPackageManager.Dispose()
at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Program.<>c__DisplayClassb.<Main>b__0()
at Microsoft.Mashup.Host.Document.ExceptionHandlerExtensions.HandleExceptions(IExceptionHandler exceptionHandler, Action action)

Invocation Stack Trace:

at Microsoft.Mashup.Host.Document.ExceptionExtensions.GetCurrentInvocationStackTrace()
at Microsoft.Mashup.Client.ClientShared.StackTraceInfo..ctor(String exceptionStackTrace, String invocationStackTrace)
at Microsoft.Mashup.Client.ClientShared.FeedbackErrorInfo..ctor(String message, Nullable`1 errorCode, String requestId, Exception exception)
at Microsoft.Mashup.Client.ClientShared.UnexpectedExceptionHandler.<>c__DisplayClass1.<HandleException>b__0()
at Microsoft.Mashup.Host.Document.SynchronizationContextExtensions.<>c__DisplayClass3.<SendAndMarshalExceptions>b__0(Object null)
at System.RuntimeMethodHandle.InvokeMethod(Object target, Object[] arguments, Signature sig, Boolean constructor)
at System.Reflection.RuntimeMethodInfo.UnsafeInvokeInternal(Object obj, Object[] parameters, Object[] arguments)
at System.Delegate.DynamicInvokeImpl(Object[] args)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.InvokeMarshaledCallbackDo(ThreadMethodEntry tme)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.InvokeMarshaledCallbackHelper(Object obj)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.InvokeMarshaledCallback(ThreadMethodEntry tme)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.InvokeMarshaledCallbacks()
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.MarshaledInvoke(Control caller, Delegate method, Object[] args, Boolean synchronous)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.Invoke(Delegate method, Object[] args)
at System.Windows.Forms.WindowsFormsSynchronizationContext.Send(SendOrPostCallback d, Object state)
at Microsoft.Mashup.Host.Document.SynchronizationContextExtensions.SendAndMarshalExceptions(SynchronizationContext context, Action callback)
at Microsoft.Mashup.Client.ClientShared.UnexpectedExceptionHandler.HandleException(Exception e)
at Microsoft.Mashup.Host.Document.ExceptionHandlerExtensions.HandleExceptions(IExceptionHandler exceptionHandler, Action action)
at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Program.Main(String[] args)

anyone please help me on this

TIA

-Srikanth CHindam
greggyb
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Are you trying to open an existing .pbix file, or start the program directly from its launcher?

Whichever one you're trying, try the other and let us know what happens.

I'm trying to do my 1st launch of app after downloading.

I don't have any file because I can't open the software to make one.

I am Also facing the same Problem.

If anyone found the Solution.

Plz let me Know.

Pavan Kumar

I am Also facing the same problem,

If you found the solution ,.

Plz Let me KNow

I am also facing the Same problem,

If you have found the Solution,Plz let me Know.

Pavan Kumar

I am Also facing the same problem.

If you have found the solution ,

Plz let me know.

Well, I've tryed to open blank pbix with no success either.

"...corrupt or not a valid reort file".

So frustrating.

I found .pbix sample. But it also fails to open

I am also getting this error.  I am trying to open a .pbix file that i have been working on for weeks.

FYI, i moved the file to a drive with more free space and was able to open.

I have heard many reports on PBIX file been corrupted during save. There could be a number of reasons that leads to this. In order to address this issue, we are working on improving the IO reliability, as well as providing auto-save/backup functionalities.

For now, I would advise everyone to at least back up your PBIX files once per day if it's been actively developed on.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.