Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

oddmut
Regular Visitor

Unable to Start Power BI Desktop We Weren't able to connect to the model

The problem:

When I launch Power BI I get this: Unable to Start Power BI Desktop We Weren't able to connect to the model.

My system:

Windows 7 Ultimate

SP1

i5 CPU

16 GB RAM

64 Bit

Solutions tried:

1. Clean boot, still get "We Weren't able to connect to the model"
  2. Reinstall 64 bit, still get "We Weren't able to connect to the model"
  3. Installing 32 bit, still get "We Weren't able to connect to the model"
  4. Launching both with "run as admin" although I'm already logged in as admin, still get "We Weren't able to connect to the model"
  5. Trying to allow Power BI to go through Windows Defender (WD) firewall, but WD isn't enabled, still get "We Weren't able to connect to the model"
  6. Disabling the firewall for Avast, but I don't have that as I'm running the free version, still get "We Weren't able to connect to the model"
  7. Running this command in admin mode cmd prmpt "c:\Program Files\Windows Defender\MpCmdRun.exe -resetplatform". In response to running I get '"c:\Program Files\Windows Defender\MpCmdRun.exe -resetplatform"' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file.
  8. Checked the event log for any errors and none exist, but 6 of these informational events:

The description for Event ID 14 from source MSOLAP$AnalysisServicesWorkspace891544383 cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer.

If the event originated on another computer, the display information had to be saved with the event.

The following information was included with the event:

The description for Event ID 0 from source MSOLAP$AnalysisServicesWorkspace891544383 cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer.

If the event originated on another computer, the display information had to be saved with the event.

Microsoft SQL Server Analysis Services
Enterprise
x86
RTM

The description for Event ID 5 from source MSOLAP$AnalysisServicesWorkspace891544383 cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer.

The description for Event ID 33 from source MSOLAP$AnalysisServicesWorkspace891544383 cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer.

C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Power BI Desktop\bin\FlightRecorderSnapshotDef.xml

The description for Event ID 22 from source MSOLAP$AnalysisServicesWorkspace891544383 cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer.

The description for Event ID 21 from source MSOLAP$AnalysisServicesWorkspace891544383 cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer.

Any help?

2 REPLIES 2
v-yuta-msft
Community Support
Community Support

@oddmut ,

I would suggest you to create a support ticket here.

Community Support Team _ Jimmy Tao

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

@v-yuta-msft wrote:

@oddmut ,

I would suggest you to create a support ticket here.

Community Support Team _ Jimmy Tao

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

I can't. I don't have a pro account. I'm a free user.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.