Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

skocheta
Advocate I
Advocate I

Unable to Sort a bar chart by Numeric or Percentage field

I noticed in May Build of Power BI desktop, that We can not sort a bar chart if we have a numerical or percentage field in axis.

Example, I have a Percentage Sales or Sales Order Number field, I can not sort bar chart on these. However Sorting works fine for Table visual.

Sort Options missing for Bar chartSort Options missing for Bar chartSort options available for table viewSort options available for table view 

Sample: https://1drv.ms/u/s!As-Rm1c3rV4gvEDcb-LI2Jp-JVPl

PS: I am using a power BI Service as data source, so additonal "Sort by Column" is not available. However event if it were, It doesn't work (Check the attached file)

6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

I found my way here bc my bar chart which is the sum of number of deficiencies (y) by question numbers 1-10 (x) would not allow me to sort by sum of deficiencies.  I converted question numbers from numeric to text to solve my issue.

az2451
Resolver I
Resolver I

Hi @skocheta,

the barchart already sorts the data from 0 to 10 because it automatically wants to scale the numerical values.

As you said, you can not sort numerical or percentage fields because they are already sorted.

However you can sort text-values from A-Z or Z-A:

Screenshot (42).png

You will need a category to sort the values. So all you need to do is to convert the numerical values of  sales orders and percentage sales into text-format:

Screenshot (43).png

Regards,

Berat

Thanks again for responsinf @az2451,

Ahh, unfortunately that doesn't work. It's the other way round for me actually 🙂

My data fields contained Sales percentage as a text column (20%, 30% etc).

When I sort on this, It takes values as text and sorts something like 10, 20 30 40, 5, 7, 9

PS: Updated the pbix to add more visuals for comparison.

I have the same problem, unable to find a solution online

my chart sorts as follows:

0-3 months, 10-12 months, 4-6 months, 7-9 months. 

been searching for solutions all week and nothing comes up 

Unbenannt.png

Do you need something like this?  🙂

@skocheta wrote:

1. ...
  2. What I want to display is My Sales on a bar chart, Sorted from 0% to 100% categorized by product stacks

Thanks for response @az2451,

Well My bad, I should have given a better example, unfortunately I can't put the business data here.

What I am essentially looking for is scenarios like these:

1. I have Sales target associated with each product, and those targets are then achieved based on actual sales.
  2. What I want to display is My Sales on a bar chart, Sorted from 0% to 100% categorized by product stacks

Right now it does not allow me to do so, It only allows to sort by Percentae or a numeric field by default Descending order.

Why I want this ?
Because the default Funnel chart in Power BI does not make a proper funnel 🙂 (Coming from Dynamics CRM, We are used to funnel charts).

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.