Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

pwares
Frequent Visitor

Unable to Query Historical NOAA Weather Data from Weather Stations

Hi Everyone,

For a project at work, I am trying to pull historical data from various weather stations from the NOAA and I would like to put it into a Power BI Database. My main goal is to pull data from the major cities in the Northeast USA, and to show the daily average temperatures for the last several years (let’s say a data series from 2010 to present).

I looked on the relevant NOAA website, and it was a bit overwhelming for how to pull this into Power BI: https://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/cdo-web/webservices/v2

1. I’ve made the request for a token : https://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/cdo-web/token
  2. I’ve identified a sample list of weather stations that I’d like to pull data from: I just picked the airports in the 5 largest cities in the NE USA. These are the Weather Station Codes:

GHCND:USW00014732

GHCND:USW00013739

GHCND:USW00014739

GHCND:USW00094823

GHCND:USW00014765

1. Based on the advice from the NOAA website, I created a URL that should be able to pull this data with these 5 codes:

https://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/cdo-web/api/v2/datasets?stationid=GHCND:USW00014732&stationid=GHCND:USW000...

1. I went into Power BI Desktop > Get Data > Web > Basic > entered the URL

pwares_0-1605907283340.png

I then typed in the URL under basic, but then I encountered an error:

pwares_1-1605907283346.png

For whatever reason, Power BI didn’t ask for a Token to authenticate me. Is there some simple way for me to tell Power BI that I have a Token where I can pull this data from the NOAA? The token should act as an authentication, however I wasn't prompted to enter one.

Thanks so much for your help!

Peter

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
PhilipTreacy
Super User
Super User

Hello @pwares

The token must be provided in the request header. I tried this and it works, just enter your own token at the top. Sample PBIX file here.

let

api_url = "https://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/cdo-web/api/v2/datasets?stationid=GHCND:USW00014732&stationid=GHCND:USW00013739&stationid=GHCND:USW00014739&stationid=GHCND:USW00094823&stationid=GHCND:USW00014765",
    token = "XXXXXXXXX",

Source = Json.Document(Web.Contents(api_url,
   [ 
     Headers = [token = token ,#"Content-Type"="application/json"]
   ]
   )
   ),
    #"Converted to Table" = Record.ToTable(Source),
    Value = #"Converted to Table"{1}[Value],
    #"Converted to Table1" = Table.FromList(Value, Splitter.SplitByNothing(), null, null, ExtraValues.Error),
    #"Expanded Column1" = Table.ExpandRecordColumn(#"Converted to Table1", "Column1", {"uid", "mindate", "maxdate", "name", "datacoverage", "id"}, {"uid", "mindate", "maxdate", "name", "datacoverage", "id"})
in
    #"Expanded Column1"

Best regards

Phil

If I answered your question please mark my post as the solution.
If my answer helped solve your problem, give it a kudos by clicking Thumbs Up.

Did I answer your question? Then please mark my post as the solution.
If I helped you, click on the Thumbs Up to give Kudos.

Blog :: YouTube Channel :: Connect on Linkedin

Proud to be a Super User!

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
PhilipTreacy
Super User
Super User

Hello @pwares

The token must be provided in the request header. I tried this and it works, just enter your own token at the top. Sample PBIX file here.

let

api_url = "https://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/cdo-web/api/v2/datasets?stationid=GHCND:USW00014732&stationid=GHCND:USW00013739&stationid=GHCND:USW00014739&stationid=GHCND:USW00094823&stationid=GHCND:USW00014765",
    token = "XXXXXXXXX",

Source = Json.Document(Web.Contents(api_url,
   [ 
     Headers = [token = token ,#"Content-Type"="application/json"]
   ]
   )
   ),
    #"Converted to Table" = Record.ToTable(Source),
    Value = #"Converted to Table"{1}[Value],
    #"Converted to Table1" = Table.FromList(Value, Splitter.SplitByNothing(), null, null, ExtraValues.Error),
    #"Expanded Column1" = Table.ExpandRecordColumn(#"Converted to Table1", "Column1", {"uid", "mindate", "maxdate", "name", "datacoverage", "id"}, {"uid", "mindate", "maxdate", "name", "datacoverage", "id"})
in
    #"Expanded Column1"

Best regards

Phil

If I answered your question please mark my post as the solution.
If my answer helped solve your problem, give it a kudos by clicking Thumbs Up.

Did I answer your question? Then please mark my post as the solution.
If I helped you, click on the Thumbs Up to give Kudos.

Blog :: YouTube Channel :: Connect on Linkedin

Proud to be a Super User!

The code provided by PhilipTreacy only gives a summary for me not daily weather data

Excellent, thanks so much for the help.  I plugged this into Power BI Advanced Editor and was able to see the data. This is really helpful.

v-jayw-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @pwares ,

Are you saying that the below verification window does not pop up?

4.PNG

If so you could go to Options and Settings -> Data source settings, find the datasource and clear the permission and try again.

5.PNG

Best Regards,

Jay

Community Support Team _ Jay
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution
to help the other members find it.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.