Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

taumirza
Helper IV
Helper IV

Unable to Load Large Excel Files

Able to load 4MB Excel file but unable to load 86 MB of excel. Is there any reason behind...!!

Um with Power BI free version and May 2016 Updated.

6 REPLIES 6
v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @taumirza,

Power BI desktop uses much RAM when you import large dataset to it. In your case, please increase your RAM to 8GB/16GB, or import data in parts from Excel .

Thanks,
Lydia Zhang

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

K got it.

can u please tell me, is there any restriction defined by default for number of records to be retrieved in Power BI Desktop when we load an excel file or is that only in terms of Memory (MB or GB) irrespective of the records.

Hi @taumirza,

According to my knowledge, there is no restriction about the number of records when you load an Excel file. However, large number of records may cause memory issue, which will prevent Power BI desktop from loading data.

Thanks,
Lydia Zhang

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @taumirza,

We need to know that how you connect to Excel file from Power BI Desktop, using File ->import->Excel Workbook Contents option or Get data-> Excel option? And please help to post the full error message that you get.

If you use File ->import->Excel Workbook Contents option to import data from Excel file to Power BI Desktop, as stated in this article, there is currently no limitation on the size or number of objects in the Excel workbook, but larger workbooks take longer for Power BI Desktop to analyze and import. However, please note that when you have linked tables in Excel, there is a size limitation of 1 million characters.

Thanks,
Lydia Zhang

Hi Lydia,

Thanks for th reply. I try to import excel file as

Get data > Excel > Load / (Edit > Close and Apply)

and um getting following error message after long time :                                                                                                                     1.PNG2.PNG

My PC: 4GB RAM in which i can see 1.5GB is free while i start Power BI Desktop Application on my lappy.

um i missing anythin here...??

I'm facing the same issue and this is not comprehensible. In my case i didn't even see the "Get data" button. It disappeared. And a 50 MB file can not be uploded in PowerBi Service by the "Upload" button. Is there any solution for this??? Please help. 

See the error message below

Chaffa_0-1689937380950.png

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.