Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

gardas_swathi
Employee
Employee

Unable to Launch Power BI Desktop

Hi Team,

I am unable to launch power bi desktop. There was a PC repair that run on my machine this morning and cannot open PBI from then. I tried to set up gateway on my machine , also tried to open PBI in admin mode. None of these worked. Below is the log from Event Viewer

- Faulting application name: pbidesktop.exe, version: 2.72.5556.452, time stamp: 0x5d427c8d
Faulting module name: KERNELBASE.dll, version: 10.0.18362.239, time stamp: 0xb6f4b059
Exception code: 0xe0434352
Fault offset: 0x000000000003a839
Faulting process id: 0x315c
Faulting application start time: 0x01d54bbb4011f498
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\Microsoft.MicrosoftPowerBIDesktop_2.72.5557.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe\bin\pbidesktop.exe
Faulting module path: C:\windows\System32\KERNELBASE.dll
Report Id: 8906fcf6-7db5-49d8-b4cd-f8150da99884
Faulting package full name: Microsoft.MicrosoftPowerBIDesktop_2.72.5557.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe
Faulting package-relative application ID: Microsoft.MicrosoftPowerBIDesktop

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

I tried to uninstall again and installed 32 bit from this link - https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=45331 and it worked. Dont know why the Power BI Desktop app from Windows Store Did not work.

Thanks

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
Geradav
Responsive Resident
Responsive Resident

Hi @gardas_swathi 

Have you tried uninstalling and installing again?

Yes. I have uninstalled and installed twice . I did try to run the below command in admin mode as well

C:\Program Files\Windows Defender\MpCmdRun.exe –resetplatform

Nothing worked. Please help

@gardas_swathi 

You could try the following

1. Press Windows key + X, select Command prompt (Admin) to bring up elevated Command prompt.
  2. In Command prompt type sfc /scannow and press enter.
  3. Restart the computer.

Or you can try re-registering kernelbase.dll and check.

1. Press Windows Key + X and click on Command Prompt (Admin)
  2. Type regsvr32 KERNELBASE.dll and hit Enter.
  3. Restart your computer and check.

Hope this helps you. Let us know if that works

David

I tried to uninstall again and installed 32 bit from this link - https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=45331 and it worked. Dont know why the Power BI Desktop app from Windows Store Did not work.

Thanks

Anonymous
Not applicable

I tried to install the 32 bit version, and although I could open the installer while running, it stops installing and a box pops telling me that to continue installing it I need to close PBI Desktop.

The PBI Desktop app isn't actually open, since it is not installed. Somehow, the app uninstalled by itself. I tried to find it to remove it, and it is not actually installed anymore.

I do not know what could be preventing the installation to move forward.

Any thoughts in getting the software installed?

Thank you,

Daniel

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @gardas_swathi 

I tried to install the 32 bit version, and although I could open the installer, while running it stop and a box pops telling me that to continue installing it I need to close MS PBI Desktop.

The app isn't actually open, so I do not know what could be preventing the installation to move forward.

Any thoughts in getting the software installed?

Thank you,

Daniel

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.