Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

suvratrai
Advocate II
Advocate II

Unable to Install Power BI Desktop

I had Power BI 32 & 64 bit versions installed on my system which i had to uninstall as they both had gone non responsive.

After uninstalling both the Power BI versions, i am now trying to do a fresh installation of Power BI Desktop 64 bit version.

When i click on the installer to run, i just get a warning window to allow Power BI to run and then nothing happens.

I am stuck here and cannot install any version of PBI Desktop on my system now.

Both the installers simply are not working for me, as the installation does not happen after i do a double click and select run on the popup window.

Please help.

Regards,

Suvrat

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Looks like i was finally able to get a workaround for this issue!

Since i was neither able to Uninstall the existing version of PowerBI in an attempt to do a clean install nor i was able to install the latest version (32 or 64 bit) of Power BI Desktop that i had downloaded from MSFT Website, I did the following.

I found an older version of the PBI Desktop in my downloads folder and used that installter to first downgrade my installation and thankfully that installation worked properly and it replaced my existing version of Power BI with an older version of PBI.

Once i had the older version of PBI Desktop installed on my system i tried the latest version of PBI Desktop installation once again and it worked for me.

I do hope that microsoft has an archive of the older version of PBI Desktop that can be downloaded and used. If not i can share it from one drive in case someone needs it.

Hope this helps!

Regards,

Suvrat

View solution in original post

19 REPLIES 19
Jetstamp

Hi Folks, please check the official Microsoft Link without using the store, that might helps you

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=58494

I just wanted to thank everyone for the advice and the links provided. I was able to install at least the 2019 August version so was able to use the program and get the work done. However i could not install any version after August. Not from Official links as an .exe nor the Store version. I am still looking for a way to install the software past August. But again. Thanks for the good advice. Regards
Jacques
nbentley

Same problem here tried to install Power BI on machines at work and at home but the install stops after a few seconds without any reason given and nothing in the event log.

This really needs to be sorted.;

Anonymous
Not applicable

Unbelievable that a month later they still haven't fixed the installer.....

Anonymous
Not applicable

New update, new victims.
The workaround is not working either.

abstracthabitat

I am having the same installation issue, "When i click on the installer to run, i just get a warning window to allow Power BI to run and then nothing happens."

I am installing Power BI Desktop for the first time (no previous versions have ever been installed on this computer) so I don't have the ability to install a previosus version.

Is there a proper fix for this installation issue?

You can still try installing the older version of PBI and if that works, then give the new version installer, once more try.

Hope that will work for you.

Regards,

Suvrat

gjama

I'm having the same issue, both installers 32/64 bit simply are not working after I double click and select run on the popup window nothing happens.

Looks like i was finally able to get a workaround for this issue!

Since i was neither able to Uninstall the existing version of PowerBI in an attempt to do a clean install nor i was able to install the latest version (32 or 64 bit) of Power BI Desktop that i had downloaded from MSFT Website, I did the following.

I found an older version of the PBI Desktop in my downloads folder and used that installter to first downgrade my installation and thankfully that installation worked properly and it replaced my existing version of Power BI with an older version of PBI.

Once i had the older version of PBI Desktop installed on my system i tried the latest version of PBI Desktop installation once again and it worked for me.

I do hope that microsoft has an archive of the older version of PBI Desktop that can be downloaded and used. If not i can share it from one drive in case someone needs it.

Hope this helps!

Regards,

Suvrat

This solution no longer works. MicroSoft removed the installer for 2019 version of Power BI. 

I cant use the MS store because im on a company laptop. and this solution doesnt work anymore. MS needs to fix this installer.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Suvrat,

Can you share the older PowerBi file. I have the same issue. 

Thanks

Cyn

Here you go.

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AsC5PgabP0U9gW9A40ugOGmmrJKs?e=eMSFT1 -- 32 Bit June2019

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AsC5PgabP0U9gW5qS568fAXTVNre?e=tSUFwY -- 64 Bit June 2019

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Suvrat

Hi Suvratrai.
This is very kind of you to share. The advice and the files. Thank you. I have exactly the same problem. In addition I also tried the Microsoft store version download. It does download but also does not install. I will give your advice a try and let know if it solved my problem as well.
Thanks
Jacques

Hi @suvratrai  ,

Glad you have solved the problem. You could accept your answer as solution so that we can close the thread.  More people will benifit from here.  

Best Regards,

Xue Ding

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Best Regards,
Xue Ding
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

How about helping us with the actual solution to this problem, as we only have the workaround as of now, which may or may not work in some cases.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks so much. Installation successful!!

Glad it worked for you! 🙂

Can you provide an actual solution, like at source and fix the installer? This hasnt been working for me for

@v-xuding-msft wrote:

Hi @suvratrai  ,

Glad you have solved the problem. You could accept your answer as solution so that we can close the thread.  More people will benifit from here.  

Best Regards,

Xue Ding

a week now

Really hoping that MSFT does something about this as i have seen several people facing this issue now.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.