Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

pranim
Helper I
Helper I

Unable to Create Relationships

I am trying to create relations between tables , by names, which has the data of starts and exits and offers. But i am getting a error saying that, i can't connect the tables as one of the column must have unique values. Start, Exit and offers table have some names in common and some are not....so i was thinking to give many to many or one to one relation.  Please help me. What exactly is the error about.?

Thanks,

Pranitha

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi @pranim

When creating a relationship one of the tables always has to have unique values in order to create the relationship. This is by design and how it works, so that it can correctly identify each of the rows.

Here is a good video explaining what relationships are in Power BI

https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/guided-learning/powerbi-learning-2-2-manage-data-relationships/

What you could do is if you wanted to relate the two tables by a column, you need to create a column that is unique across all the rows in each of your tables, and then create a relationship on those columns from each table. 

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi @pranim

When creating a relationship one of the tables always has to have unique values in order to create the relationship. This is by design and how it works, so that it can correctly identify each of the rows.

Here is a good video explaining what relationships are in Power BI

https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/guided-learning/powerbi-learning-2-2-manage-data-relationships/

What you could do is if you wanted to relate the two tables by a column, you need to create a column that is unique across all the rows in each of your tables, and then create a relationship on those columns from each table. 

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

Hi Guavaq,

i am experiencing a new problem now.... i have a table with employees full names( obviously there will people with same names but different last names) and the other table i have starts of those employees. However, the starts table has duplicates for 2-3 records. I am trying to make a relation between  the full name table and starts table it is giving me nulls as the values...but there are no null values. If a record is empty it is replaced with NA. why  am i getting null values?

Thnaks,

Pranitha

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.