Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Tomas85
Employee
Employee

Unable to Connect to SQL Server

Hi Guys, does anybody has the similar issue? I was unable to connect SQL Server ... Details: "Microsoft SQL: Connection Timeout Expired. The timeout period elapsed while attempting to consume the pre-login handshake acknowledgement. This could be because the pre-login handshake failed or the server was unable to respond back in time. The duration spent while attempting to connect to this server was - [Pre-Login] initialization=18492; handshake=10273; " so I am not able to get DATA.

I can connect through my MS SQL Management Studio with Connection time-out setup = 60 seconds ...

I have tried to setup "Command timeout in minutes" = 2 in PowerBI and still no luck. I went through the similar articles here and this function has not been supported yet?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Tomas85
Employee
Employee

Hi,

We were able to fix the issue with MSIT Support Team. You should try IP address instead of putting server name there ...

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Tomas85
Employee
Employee

Hi,

We were able to fix the issue with MSIT Support Team. You should try IP address instead of putting server name there ...

Hi,

I have the same issue, using IP instead of server name.

Is there any other suggestion?

Hi there,

actually no, only server name or IP address.

You should contact support team, they are really quick and can help you.

v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi Tomas85,

As indicated in this blog, we are able to specify a command timeout value (in minutes) when connecting to SQL Server database with the March release of Power BI Desktop.

Could you please set the value of "Command timeout in minutes" to a higher value and check if you can connect to SQL Server successfully? Also write a custom SQL statement in “SQL statement” and check if the connection is established or not.

Thanks,
Lydia Zhang

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi Lydia,

Im getting the same errors as Tomas.

I also tried setting high value in the "Command timeout" box or writing a custum SQL statement.

Still the connection is not established..

Do you know other alternative?

Thanks,

Mor  

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.