cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
SiWill2017 Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Unable to Connect to SQL Server

I keep getting the following error message when trying to connect to the companies SQL Server, does anyone have any idea of how to solve this?

"An error happened while reading data from the provider: 'Could not load file or assembly 'System.EnterpriseServices, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a' or one of its dependencies. Either a required impersonation level was not provided, or the provided impersonation level is invalid. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80070542)'"

I have tried to install a newer version of .net framework but I have one that is 4.5 or newer.

"An error happened while reading data from the provider: 'Could not load file or assembly 'System.EnterpriseServices, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a' or one of its dependencies. Either a required impersonation level was not provided, or the provided impersonation level is invalid. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80070542)'"

Thanks.

9 REPLIES 9
SiWill2017 Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

RDB Pro Net

I am having issues connecting to our SQL server, our CRM is RDB Pro Net, does anyone use the same CRM and had issues connecting to the database?

Thanks.

Moderator v-sihou-msft

Re: Unable to Connect to SQL Server

@SiWill2017

As the error message mentioned, it seems a permission issue when loading the assembly, please try to run Power BI Desktop as administrator. If it still doesn't work, please repair your .NET Framework, restart your server and try again to see if it works.

Regards,

Anonymous
Not applicable

Dear @v-sihou-msft ,

It worked for me running as administrator. But is there a way to make it work with a regular user?

I´m using the admin credentials for SQL connection, but wanted to run PowerBI Desktop with regular user.

Thank you,

Eduardo

thaslett Occasional Visitor
Occasional Visitor

Hello,

I just wanted to add my experience to this. As the Network Manager, I was not comfortable allowing a user to run with admin credentials, so I wanted to find a way around this issue.

I also did have to use Run As Admin to get the connection to work. I discovered that I only needed to do that to establish the connection, though. Once I did, the program could then be run without the Run As Admin option and it would work.

Hope that helps someone.

Highlighted
pcowman Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Helped me, thank you Smiley Happy

jcm0733 Visitor
Visitor

Thank you. Run as admin worked for me.

techs_uk Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Not sure if this helps.

I made some changes - not sure which worked!

domain admin: worked

Added domain user as local admin: didn't work (or was there some delay?)

Real SQL server name was vanguard2, so I used that at first for this SCCM power bi dashboard. Then, as we retained the original server name alias for older applications when we upgraded the server a couple of years ago, I decided to use that name 'VANGUARD' for the data connection. deleted the credentials, then it worked too.

could it be related to SPN's?

actually, when i say it worked, it stalled at a new error - my data coming from SCCM for malware has multiple records with the same data (appears to be a malware ID to name list)

vlad-with_cat Occasional Visitor
Occasional Visitor

Run as Admin worked for me.

Vladimir

kmuchai Occasional Visitor
Occasional Visitor

I had the same problem on my installation but only after I had installed the Microsoft Store version of Power BI Desktop. The only way I could get an SQL Database to connect as a data source was to run Power BI as administrator as mentioned by others on this thread. I uninstalled the Microsoft Store version of Power BI and pulled a manual download from the Microsoft Power BI page here :

https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/downloads/  (*Make sure to select the Advanced Download Option to manually pull an installable file)

I've had no issues connecting to my databases since and I do not run Power BI Desktop as administrator. Hope this helps.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Can You Solve These Challenge

Challenge: Can You Solve These?

Find out how to participate in the first Power BI 'Can You Solve These?' challenge.

Community News & Announcements

Community News & Announcements

Get your latest community news and announcements.

Virtual Launch Event

Microsoft Business Applications October Virtual Launch Event

Join us for an in-depth look at the new innovations across Dynamics 365 and the Microsoft Power Platform.

Community Kudopalooza

Win Power BI Swag with Community Kudopalooza!

Each week, complete activities and be qualified in the drawing for cool Power BI Swag.

Users Online
Currently online: 6 members 4,452 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: