Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

davestasiuk

Unable to Connect to MySQL Database: "Remote Party Has Closed the Transport Stream"

We are having a connection issue between PowerBI to a MySQL server. Of the five people in our office, all of us are correctly connected in our MySQL Workbench, running queries, etc. Two of us have had no problem in connecting to the database in PowerBI, but the rest of us have been unable, and are receiving the following error: "An error happened while reading data from the provider: 'Authentication failed because the remote party has closed the transport stream.'" We have tried deleting our permissions and re-entering them, but to no avail. We have tested this connection using Tableau as well, and have been able to connect there...so we are all in with both MySQL Workbench and Tableau, but for some reason some of us cannot connect through PowerBI. Does anyone have any recommendations for how we can move forwared?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @davestasiuk,

I don't think this issue is caused by power bi. Based on research, it seems a like a specify device issue.

Does these issue only appear on specific devices?

If this is a case, I think the issue may related to your hardware driver, mysql software version, OS version and ssl provider.

In addition, I'd like to suggest you to post this to mysql forum to get further support.

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
robertoz
Advocate I
Advocate I

I got the same.

It helped me to update mySQL connector. I used MySQL Connector/.Net.

Anonymous
Not applicable

this is the correct solution for me.

v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @davestasiuk,

I don't think this issue is caused by power bi. Based on research, it seems a like a specify device issue.

Does these issue only appear on specific devices?

If this is a case, I think the issue may related to your hardware driver, mysql software version, OS version and ssl provider.

In addition, I'd like to suggest you to post this to mysql forum to get further support.

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

Yes, it turned out to be related to the MySQLQ Connector.NET version.

Any tips on how to solve it? Which version were you using? How did you determine which one to use? I'm having the same issue.

Did you find a solution to this ? I am getting the same issue currently

Did you manage to resolve this ?

Any tips on how to solve it? Which version were you using? How did you determine which one to use? I'm having the same issue.

I came to the forum looking for a solution to this exact same problem described by @davestasiuk.

I am able to succesfully connect to the same Azure-hosted MySQL DB from Tableau, workbench, and some of my custom software. When I use the same login credentials with PowerBI, I get the same "Remote Party Has Closed the Transport Stream". This is true on other machines I am testing on as well.

Why would PowerBI not let me connect to the Azure DB, but other apps are successful on the same device, with the same creds, and drivers?

I have been having the same issue as @davestasiuk on this. Re: connecting from PowerBI to a MySQL database.

Tableau, workbench, and even some custom software I am creating are all connecting successfully to the same MySQL database hosted on Azure. When I connect through PowerBI with the same DB credentials, "Remote Party Has Closed the Transport Stream" is given and I am unable to connect.

I have replicated the problem on other machines with fresh installations of PowerBI, etc too.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.