Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Unable to Connect to Databricks with Power BI via DirectQuery

Hello Community,

I am attempting to connect Databricks to Power BI as described in the following link

https://azure.microsoft.com/en-gb/blog/structured-streaming-with-databricks-into-power-bi-cosmos-db/

I have also tried connecting with the standard hostname 'northeurope.azuredatabricks.net', however I keep on getting the error shown in the image:

Details: "ODBC: ERROR [HY000] [Microsoft][Hardy] (34) Error from server: Bad Status: HTTP/1.1 303 See Other."

Can someone please help resolve this issue.

Thanks

Carlton

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @Anonymous,

It seems that the error is caused by the URL. 

Do you have a try with another format of URL bases on the document?

example.PNG

Best Regards,

Cherry

Community Support Team _ Cherry Gao
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
lazer
Frequent Visitor

I have a similar issue, but the error message a slightly different:

pbierror1.PNG

I have carefully followed the instructions for extracting the URL. I have also tried the aliased URL as suggested, with no luck.

I have tried both DirectQuery and Import mode, with no luck.

My Databricks DB contains 4 tables, some of them are managed tables and some are not. Also, some tables are Delta tables and some are not.

After pressing Retry, I get a new error:

pbierror2.PNG

Here is an exerpt from the detailed error log, which is obtained from "Copy details":

Release:
November 2018

Product Version:
2.64.5285.741 (18.11) (x64)

Error Message:
Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

Stack Trace:
Microsoft.Mashup.Evaluator.Interface.ErrorException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object. ---> Microsoft.Mashup.Evaluator.Interface.ErrorException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object. ---> Microsoft.Mashup.Evaluator.Interface.ErrorException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object. ---> Microsoft.Mashup.Evaluator.Interface.ErrorException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object. ---> Microsoft.Mashup.Evaluator.Interface.ErrorException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object. ---> System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object. ---> System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
   at Microsoft.Mashup.Evaluator.ChannelMessenger.CreateChannel()
   at Microsoft.Mashup.EngineHost.Services.RemoteLibraryServiceFactory.Proxy.GetResourceString(String moduleName, String cultureName, String stringName)
   at Microsoft.Mashup.Engine1.Library.Extensibility.ExtensibilityModule.LoadStringFunctionValue.TypedInvoke(TextValue stringId)
   at Microsoft.Mashup.Engine1.Runtime.NativeFunctionValue1`2.Invoke(Value arg0)
   at Microsoft.Mashup.Engine1.Language.DebugInstruction.Execute(MembersFrame1& frame)

at Microsoft.Mashup.Evaluator.Interface.IMessageChannelExtensions.WaitFor[T](IMessageChannel channel)
   at Microsoft.Mashup.Evaluator.RemotePreviewValueSource.PreviewValueSource.WaitFor(Func`1 condition, Boolean disposing)
   at Microsoft.Mashup.Evaluator.RemotePreviewValueSource.PreviewValueSource.get_TableSource()
   at Microsoft.Mashup.Evaluator.Interface.TracingPreviewValueSource.get_TableSource()
   at Microsoft.Mashup.Host.Document.Analysis.PackageDocumentAnalysisInfo.PackagePartitionAnalysisInfo.SetPreviewValue(EvaluationResult2`1 result, Func`1 getStaleSince, Func`1 getSampled)

Invocation Stack Trace:
   at Microsoft.Mashup.Host.Document.ExceptionExtensions.GetCurrentInvocationStackTrace()
   at Microsoft.Mashup.Client.UI.Shared.DataImporter.HandleImportEvaluationException(ExceptionResult exceptionView, Query query, String sourceID, String formulaTitle, Boolean isNewQuery, Boolean isFromEditor)

OS Version:
Microsoft Windows NT 10.0.17134.0 (x64 en-GB)

CLR Version:
4.7 or later [Release Number = 461808]

Peak Virtual Memory:
37.9 GB

Private Memory:
320 MB

Peak Working Set:
487 MB

IE Version:

Workbook Package Info:
1* - en-GB, Query Groups: 0, fastCombine: Disabled, runBackgroundAnalysis: True.

Telemetry Enabled:
True

Model Default Mode:
Empty

Disabled Preview Features:
PBI_shapeMapVisualEnabled
MIntellisense
PBI_SpanishLinguisticsEnabled
PBI_PdfImport
PBI_ColumnProfiling
PBI_variationUIChange
PBI_PythonSupportEnabled
PBI_showIncrementalRefreshPolicy
PBI_showManageAggregations
PBI_FuzzyMatching
PBI_EnableWebDiagramView
PBI_improvedFilterExperience

Disabled DirectQuery Options:
PBI_DirectQuery_Unrestricted
TreatHanaAsRelationalSource

Cloud:
GlobalCloud

DPI Scale:
100%

Supported Services:
Power BI

Formulas:

section Section1;

shared Query1 = let
    Source = AzureSpark.Tables("https://westeurope.azuredatabricks.net:443/sql/protocolv1/o/XXX_XXX/xxx-xxx-xxx")
in
    Source;

lazer
Frequent Visitor

In my case, the problem was that I was using the wrong connector (Azure / Azure HDInsight Spark). The correct connector is Other / Spark.

v-piga-msft
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Hi @Anonymous,

Please follow the document Connect Power BI Desktop to a Databricks cluster which introduces the steps in details.

Please check if your server addresss is in right format?

Best  Regards,

Cherry

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Just so you know the full error message is as follows:

Feedback Type:
Frown (Error)

Timestamp:
2018-10-12T21:02:01.9781026Z

Local Time:
2018-10-12T22:02:01.9781026+01:00

Session ID:
f3890fdc-0e89-40f6-a4fc-d2f4baf0e3e7

Release:
September 2018

Product Version:
2.62.5222.761 (18.09) (x64)

Error Message:
Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

Stack Trace:

preserveSyncCtx)
OS Version:
Microsoft Windows NT 10.0.17134.0 (x64 en-US)

CLR Version:
4.7 or later [Release Number = 461808]

Peak Virtual Memory:
38 GB

Private Memory:
285 MB

Peak Working Set:
426 MB

IE Version:

User ID:
7a925d19-bd6c-43bc-a3f8-9ab9ec5bd547

Workbook Package Info:
1* - en-GB, Query Groups: 0, fastCombine: Disabled, runBackgroundAnalysis: True.

Telemetry Enabled:
True

Model Default Mode:
Empty

Snapshot Trace Logs:
C:\Users\Carlton\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Power BI Desktop\FrownSnapShot548866256.zip

Performance Trace Logs:
C:\Users\Carlton\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Power BI Desktop\PerformanceTraces.zip

Disabled Preview Features:
PBI_shapeMapVisualEnabled
MIntellisense
PBI_newFromWeb
PBI_SpanishLinguisticsEnabled
CustomConnectors
PBI_PdfImport
PBI_variationUIChange
PBI_PythonSupportEnabled
PBI_showIncrementalRefreshPolicy
PBI_compositeModels
PBI_DB2DQ
PBI_showManageAggregations

Disabled DirectQuery Options:
PBI_DirectQuery_Unrestricted
TreatHanaAsRelationalSource

Cloud:
GlobalCloud

DPI Scale:
100%

Supported Services:
Power BI

Formulas:

section Section1;

shared Query1 = let
Source = AzureSpark.Tables("https://northeurope.azuredatabricks.net:443/sql/protocolv1/o/468000108396605/1011-202123-rotor612")
in
Source;

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello Community,

Can I get some further assistance with this please?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi, thanks for getting touch.

I followed the suggestion that you provided from the link. I ended up contructing the JDBC Server address as follows:

https://northeurope.azuredatabricks.net:443/sql/protocolv1/o/468000108396605/1011-202123-rotor612

However, I get the following error:

Details: "Specified url is invalid for SparkProtocol.Azure."

Do you have any other suggestions please?

Hi @Anonymous,

It seems that the error is caused by the URL. 

Do you have a try with another format of URL bases on the document?

example.PNG

Best Regards,

Cherry

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Cherry,

Thanks for reaching out.

The URL that I'm using is:

https://northeurope.azuredatabricks.net:443/sql/protocolv1/o/468000108396605/1011-202123-rotor612

But it doesn't work

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello Community,

I am attempting to connect Databricks to Power BI as described in the following link

https://azure.microsoft.com/en-gb/blog/structured-streaming-with-databricks-into-power-bi-cosmos-db/

I have also tried connecting with the standard hostname 'northeurope.azuredatabricks.net', however I keep on getting the following error:

Details: "ODBC: ERROR [HY000] [Microsoft][Hardy] (34) Error from server: Bad Status: HTTP/1.1 303 See Other."

Can someone please help resolve this issue.

Thanks

Carlton 

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.