Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

smore
Helper I
Helper I

Un-Summarize column, calculated rows?

Visual bar charts with 'Auto' Y axis cut the upper data bar in half. I am trying to add padding to the data by adding a null value in the table so it pads the visuals.

NameSubGroupSize
A3100
A250
A125
B2100
B1200

Here is an example of my table. If I plot [Size] on X axis and [SubGroup] on Y axis with 'Auto' setting, the visual will cut the bar or bubble for [A], [SubGroup] 3 in half. I need to add padding to the visual. As a work around i figured I could do the following:

NameSubGroupSize
A4null
A3

A250
A125
B3null
B2100
B1200

This way when plotting, the Y axis now auto adjusts to 4 and shows no data plotted but the data in [A] [SubGroup] 3 shows completely. The reason for needing padding is that if I filter for B, the Y axis needs to update accordingly as the [SubGroup] sizes are variable. 

I created a calculated Table2 which summarizes Table1[Name], finds the Max [SubGroup] and adds 1. (SubgroupValueNeeded) column.

NameSubgroupValueNeeded
A4
B3

However, I do not know how to un-summarize or expand this table to the result I want as seen below:

NameSubGroupSize
A4null
A3

A250
A125
B3null
B2100
B1200
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
KNP
Super User
Super User

I would take a slightly different approach to this.

Create two measures one for padding the sub-group and one for padding the size.

PaddedSubGroup = MAX('Table'[SubGroup]) * 1.1
PaddedSize = MAX('Table'[Size]) * 1.1

Use these measures in the respective axis 'End' fields to create the padding you need. That way you don't need to create any dummy data. Make sure to set the 'Start' value to zero also.

(see attached PBIX file)

KNP_0-1633975071974.png

(I may be misunderstanding your issue. If so, can you post an image of your visual?)

Hope this helps.

Have I solved your problem?
Please click Accept as Solution so I don't keep coming back to this post, oh yeah, others may find it useful also ;).
chrome-9xf-Zagzel-B

If you found this post helpful, please give Kudos.
It gives me a sense of instant gratification and, if you give me Kudos enough times, magical unicorns will appear on your screen.
If you find my signature vaguely amusing, please give Kudos.
KIfp67uy-Sr
Proud to be a Super User!PBI-Super-User-Rank-30x30-1x

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
KNP
Super User
Super User

I would take a slightly different approach to this.

Create two measures one for padding the sub-group and one for padding the size.

PaddedSubGroup = MAX('Table'[SubGroup]) * 1.1
PaddedSize = MAX('Table'[Size]) * 1.1

Use these measures in the respective axis 'End' fields to create the padding you need. That way you don't need to create any dummy data. Make sure to set the 'Start' value to zero also.

(see attached PBIX file)

KNP_0-1633975071974.png

(I may be misunderstanding your issue. If so, can you post an image of your visual?)

Hope this helps.

Have I solved your problem?
Please click Accept as Solution so I don't keep coming back to this post, oh yeah, others may find it useful also ;).
chrome-9xf-Zagzel-B

If you found this post helpful, please give Kudos.
It gives me a sense of instant gratification and, if you give me Kudos enough times, magical unicorns will appear on your screen.
If you find my signature vaguely amusing, please give Kudos.
KIfp67uy-Sr
Proud to be a Super User!PBI-Super-User-Rank-30x30-1x

This was the original approach I wanted to take but did not have function capability for the Y or X axis. Seeing your screenshots made me realize that I have to update Power BI Desktop. I now have the FX capability for Y and X axis and your measure works perfectly. Thank you for the help!

PaulDBrown
Community Champion
Community Champion

Make sure both the Subgroup and Size columns are not summarized in both the table and the field bucket of the visual. You might also need to select the option for "Show items with no data" in the field bucket for the visual

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
In doing so, you are also helping me. Thank you!

Proud to be a Super User!
Paul on Linkedin.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.