Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

ranjitsingh
Advocate I
Advocate I

US Phone Numbers to Map Visualization

Hi All,

I'm trying to see customers on map visualization using only US phone numbers. Is this possible ?

Customer# Phone#

100 559-234-5678
200515-567-8901
300649-456-3840
400201-280-7876
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
Jihwan_Kim
Super User
Super User

Hi, @ranjitsingh 

In my opinion, it is possible, if one more table is added into the data model, for instance, something like below.

Picture5.png

Then you can create a link between the first-three-digit of phone numbers and state names.

Hi, My name is Jihwan Kim.

If this post helps, then please consider accept it as the solution to help other members find it faster, and give a big thumbs up.

If this post helps, then please consider accepting it as the solution to help other members find it faster, and give a big thumbs up.

Go to My LinkedIn Page

View solution in original post

Hi,

Thank you for your feedback.

It is possible, if you can find the information on the website that tells about those.

If your purpose is to show city level, for instance, you can try to search for the information about how is USA City Names and Phone numbers are related. Then, Power BI automatically grabs the city names to display on the map visualization. If you need to visualize more accurately by using longitude and latitude, you need to find all information that tells about Cityname - longitude/latitude, and pull the information into Power BI desktop.

In this way, you can describe map visualization by using phone numbers.

Thank you.

If this post helps, then please consider accepting it as the solution to help other members find it faster, and give a big thumbs up.

Go to My LinkedIn Page

View solution in original post

41 REPLIES 41
v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @ranjitsingh,

Did Jihwan_Kim 's suggestion help with your scenario? if that is the case, you can consider Kudo or accept his suggestion to help others who faced similar requirements to find it more quickly.

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

Hi @v-shex-msft , Thanks for your input. I had already kudoed it and now I marked it as solution also. Actually, I managed to get address of each customer finally so didnt use phone number for map. In this particular DB, I have 1000s of tables and no schema from client as its a 3rd party proprietary database..They just gave me about 35000 fields 😞 so missed it first time.

Thanks!

ranjitsingh
Advocate I
Advocate I

Hi @Jihwan_Kim , Thanks for your response.

Is it possible to get more granular than state. Eg city ...or exact coordinates like latitude and longitude ?

Hi,

Thank you for your feedback.

It is possible, if you can find the information on the website that tells about those.

If your purpose is to show city level, for instance, you can try to search for the information about how is USA City Names and Phone numbers are related. Then, Power BI automatically grabs the city names to display on the map visualization. If you need to visualize more accurately by using longitude and latitude, you need to find all information that tells about Cityname - longitude/latitude, and pull the information into Power BI desktop.

In this way, you can describe map visualization by using phone numbers.

Thank you.

Go to My LinkedIn Page

Sounds good. Thank you Jihwan!

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.