Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

KarlinOz
Advocate III
Advocate III

URLs in Matrix are clickable links when as Rows but not as Values

To reproduce:

Create a Matrix. Set all data items as Rows.

2017-06-01 16_27_48-New Message - Microsoft Power BI Community.png

Result: URLs are clickable links.

Expected result: URLs are clickable links.

All ok so far

Move the URL field to the Values area

2017-06-01 16_32_28-New Message - Microsoft Power BI Community.png

Result: URLs are not clickable links.

Expected result: URLs are clickable links.

Is this intentional and desirable behaviour?

I am probably misunderstanding the intention of Matrices but for me it would be good for the URLs to maintain their clickability as Value items.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
KarlinOz
Advocate III
Advocate III

I'm pleased to report that the issue of URLs becoming not-clickable when moved to Values has been fixed. Not sure when the fix came through but in my current version (Version: 2.56.5023.942 64-bit (March 2018)) the URLs are now clickable whether as Rows or Values. Thank you MS Dev team!

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14
KarlinOz
Advocate III
Advocate III

I'm pleased to report that the issue of URLs becoming not-clickable when moved to Values has been fixed. Not sure when the fix came through but in my current version (Version: 2.56.5023.942 64-bit (March 2018)) the URLs are now clickable whether as Rows or Values. Thank you MS Dev team!

vanessafvg
Super User
Super User

@KarlinOz and if you drag the url into the rows rather than value>?

If I took the time to answer your question and I came up with a solution, please mark my post as a solution and /or give kudos freely for the effort 🙂 Thank you!

Proud to be a Super User!

@vanessafvg it goes back to being a clickable link.

@KarlinOz which makes sense to be because its a text value, not a measure, ideally i think a measure is what is used in the values areas ideally.  Is the reason you want to use due it the formatting?

If I took the time to answer your question and I came up with a solution, please mark my post as a solution and /or give kudos freely for the effort 🙂 Thank you!

Uh, ok @vanessafvg thx for the clarifiction. Two reasons - aesthetically having the URL in the Values area gives a dividing line between my grouping data and my actual values and as we have very little control over appearance it is a way of making it look better. I have simplified my matrix, URL is only one of the field values I have in the visual and they are grouped by the other two fields in the Rows area. That takes me to my other reason - functionality - as far as I can tell, in the matrix we group by items in the Rows area and our actual data values are in the Values area. Something tells me that the way I am trying to do it should be functionally correct. However I stand to be corrected if I'm not understanding it.

@KarlinOz in my opinion the values area is for measure type date that gets aggregated therefore it doesn't hold the usual textual functionality which you are expecting.  

so in my opinion functionally you can put it there but because its not intended for text data it probably doesn't have textual funtionality which is what comes with the url requirement

https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/powerbi-service-hyperlinks-in-tables/  hae you seen this page, not sure if this adds any value to helping 

@vanessafvg thx for the link, I hadn't seen it before but it doesn't add any clarity for me sadly. 

I know what you are saying, yes there is aggregation because of the grouping, however we are provided with textual aggregation tools = 'First' and 'Last' so I was hoping textual functionality may be preserved. In my case there is only one row of data in each group.

And having said that my data has only one row per group when I look at the two screenshots I posted it certainly does not look that way. It's getting late here so tomorrow I'll go back to my model and re-check that.

Ok so in actual fact each group in my model actually does have only one row of data - in my first screenshot above I was showing 5/8 of the way down my data but in the 2nd shot I was at the top (see the viewport slug at the right of the pane).

So, here is another screenshot, including my additional fields and at the same point in my data, it highlights several issues I am having with the current matrix:

2017-06-02 07_33_39-ProjectAnalysisConsole - Copy - Building New Summary - Power BI Desktop.png

1. The issue I started the thread about - URLs in Values are not hyperlinked
  2. We are stuck with the auto generated column title - in this model they are a little nonsensical as each group has only one row of data and I would love to just lose the 'First' and 'Last'.
  3. We can't choose to have totals on only selected columns - it's just plain silly having totals on my text fields as shown but I do want totals of the $ figures.

One possible solution I looked at was moving the URL field over to the Rows area however that gave me totals for every single URL - I need to do some experimentation to see whether I can control that.

I believe I have a work-around for 1 out of 3 of my issues:

1. No work-around. @vanessafvg suggested moving the URL field to the Rows area. That indeed makes them clickable. However becasue I want totals for each group it doesn't work for me, I get a total for each group of [Item, Transaction & URL], I get a total for each one bunch of URLs per transaction and where transactions have only one URL I get a total for every URL:
    2017-06-02 09_19_34-ProjectAnalysisConsole - Copy - Building New Summary - Power BI Desktop.png
    I want a total for each group of Transactions per Item.  Does anyone have any other ideas I can try?

2. No work-around found yet.

3. I have found a work-around for suppressing Totals of those columns which I don't want: In the formatting area > Column formatting 
    Pic1.png
    Select your text column, change the Font color to match your background colour, turn Color values Off, Color subtotals and Color totals On. Repeat for all your text columns. Voila!
    2017-06-02 11_59_46-ProjectAnalysisConsole - Copy - Building New Summary - Power BI Desktop.png
Anonymous
Not applicable

April, 2019 version of Power BI...struggled to find a simple solution to suppress column substotals where it has 'First [fieldname]' or 'Last [fieldname]' for text fields that I don't want to show.  Sadly, "hiding" the subtotal value by making it blend in with it's background seems to still be the only solution.   Update on 'how to' for April, 2019 release:

1.  Visualitzations Pane ->

2.   (select roller paintbrush icon)

3.   Field Formatting ->

4.  (Select appropriate field, e.g., 'First Project Name' in dropdown) ->

5.  Match font and background color

6.  Ensure sliders for 'Apply to header', 'Apply to total', and 'Apply to values' are off and 'Apply to subtotals' is on. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

I would obviously love to have actual control over the total removing, but this work around for hiding the total for a particular column worked perfectly for me!!!

Yes, due to formatting because a clickable link is... well useful because the URL cannot even  be copied out to paste into a browser when it is plain text.

@KarlinOz what i mean is why can't you put the url in the rows on the matrix if it is clickable there?  you dont have to have something in the values area

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.