Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

MichelleACN
Frequent Visitor

URL Images Won't Display in PowerBI Online

Images added to my Power BI report will not appear for all users online.   We all have the same permission level to the .png image files stored in a library on a SharePoint site.  Additionally, I've granted everyone "Read" access in addition to the few of us who have Site Collection Admin access.   In Power BI I have set the image URL column to the type URL.   Any input or help here is much appreciated as I'll have to rebuild elements of my report since half of my team can't see the images when the report loads in Power BI online.
Images from URLs not displaying for all users in Power BI online.Images from URLs not displaying for all users in Power BI online.

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Thank you for both of your responses @mwegener  @amitchandak .  Unfortunately those suggestions did not solve my issue but I'll tell you what did...

My images were stored in a SharePoint library, everyone on my team had Read access in addition to the permission level "Everyone, except external users"  which was the widest permission level allowed in my environment.   I discovered that even though those users couldn't view the images in Power BI online, they could when I embedded the report in a Modern UI page on my SharePoint site.  So it seems like an order of operations issue with the page load.  On the SharePoint page, the user is already logged in by the time the page is starting to load, then the Power BI report renders.  In Power BI online, the report loaded first then the images and it seemed as though the browser wasnt able to fully connect to them before load completed.  Unfortunately, I don't have the option of storing my images on a public site or using the "anonymous" access level in my environment which would eliminate this issue.

My work around & solution: 
Converting my images to Base64 instead of using images stored in SharePoint.   I found this tutorial on how to Convert Images to Base64 for use in Power BI which solved my problem.  I do know there are some character limits (approx 32k) but I need to do further testing to see how large/detailed of an image I can use before I hit that threshhold.   I hope this helps other people who have this same issue because I spent more time than I'd like to admin troubleshooting this one.
CC: @EStieg @v-gizhi-msft @v-alq-msft 

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Hi @MichelleACN ,

look at this.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/power-bi-images-tables

Considerations

• The image needs to be in one of these file formats: .bmp, .jpg, .jpeg, .gif, .png, or .svg
  • The URL needs to be anonymously accessible, not on a site that requires a sign-in, such as SharePoint. However, if images are hosted on SharePoint or OneDrive, you may be able to get an embed code that points directly to them.

Regards,

Marcus

Dortmund - Germany
If I answered your question, please mark my post as solution, this will also help others.
Please give Kudos for support.

Did I answer your question?
Please mark my post as solution, this will also help others.
Please give Kudos for support.

Marcus Wegener works as Full Stack Power BI Engineer at BI or DIE.
His mission is clear: "Get the most out of data, with Power BI."
twitter - LinkedIn - YouTube - website - podcast

Thank you for both of your responses @mwegener  @amitchandak .  Unfortunately those suggestions did not solve my issue but I'll tell you what did...

My images were stored in a SharePoint library, everyone on my team had Read access in addition to the permission level "Everyone, except external users"  which was the widest permission level allowed in my environment.   I discovered that even though those users couldn't view the images in Power BI online, they could when I embedded the report in a Modern UI page on my SharePoint site.  So it seems like an order of operations issue with the page load.  On the SharePoint page, the user is already logged in by the time the page is starting to load, then the Power BI report renders.  In Power BI online, the report loaded first then the images and it seemed as though the browser wasnt able to fully connect to them before load completed.  Unfortunately, I don't have the option of storing my images on a public site or using the "anonymous" access level in my environment which would eliminate this issue.

My work around & solution: 
Converting my images to Base64 instead of using images stored in SharePoint.   I found this tutorial on how to Convert Images to Base64 for use in Power BI which solved my problem.  I do know there are some character limits (approx 32k) but I need to do further testing to see how large/detailed of an image I can use before I hit that threshhold.   I hope this helps other people who have this same issue because I spent more time than I'd like to admin troubleshooting this one.
CC: @EStieg @v-gizhi-msft @v-alq-msft 

Hello,

Isn't there an easier way to do this? How can I show pictures taken in share point in the PBI report 😞

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.