Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

MarkPHarris1
Helper I
Helper I

URL Filtering when spaces in tablename

Hi there,

I was wondering if you can help, I am encountering a error when trying to do url filtering from one powerbi report to another, the problem being the tablename has a space in it. Here's my dax so far:

"report URL - ReportSection?filter=fact facttable/Project eq '" & MAX('fact facttable '[Project]) & "'"

This doesn't work, it takes me to a webpage but the fitering doesn't work, and I think it is caused by the "fact facttable" having a space in it. Is there anyway in the url of escaping the space in the tablename? There is no way for me to change the name of the table incase you are wondering(I'm using a powerbi dataset which is used by a large number of our staff, so can't just be changed for me).

Thanks for your help,

Mark
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-lili6-msft
Community Support
Community Support

hi  @MarkPHarris1 

Just use "_x0020_" instead of space in the table name, like this:

ReportSection?filter=fact_x0020_facttable/Project eq '" & MAX('fact facttable '[Project]) & "'"

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/collaborate-share/service-url-filters#special-characters-i...

Special characters in URL filters

Special characters in table and column names

Special characters and spaces in table and column names require some additional formatting. When your query contains spaces, dashes, or other non-ASCII characters, prefix those special characters with an escape code starting with an underscore and an X (_x), then the four-digit Unicode, then another underscore. If the Unicode is fewer than four characters, you need to pad it with zeroes. Here are some examples.

SPECIAL CHARACTERS IN TABLE AND COLUMN NAMES
Identifier Unicode Coding for Power BI
Table Name Space is 0x20 Table_x0020_Name
Column@Number @ is 0x40 Column_x0040_Number
[Column] [ is 0x005B ] is 0x005D x005B_Column_x005D
Column+Plus + is 0x2B Column_x002B_Plus

Regards,

Lin

Community Support Team _ Lin
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
EricShahi
Helper IV
Helper IV

@v-lili6-msft  @amitchandak @MarkPHarris1 

Table Name  = Department (measure)

Filter = Team is "Accounting" 

Adding below to my URL Code : 

?filter=Department_x0020_x0028_measures_x0029/Team eq 'Accounting'

This is not working for me ??

v-lili6-msft
Community Support
Community Support

hi  @MarkPHarris1 

Just use "_x0020_" instead of space in the table name, like this:

ReportSection?filter=fact_x0020_facttable/Project eq '" & MAX('fact facttable '[Project]) & "'"

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/collaborate-share/service-url-filters#special-characters-i...

Special characters in URL filters

Special characters in table and column names

Special characters and spaces in table and column names require some additional formatting. When your query contains spaces, dashes, or other non-ASCII characters, prefix those special characters with an escape code starting with an underscore and an X (_x), then the four-digit Unicode, then another underscore. If the Unicode is fewer than four characters, you need to pad it with zeroes. Here are some examples.

SPECIAL CHARACTERS IN TABLE AND COLUMN NAMES
Identifier Unicode Coding for Power BI
Table Name Space is 0x20 Table_x0020_Name
Column@Number @ is 0x40 Column_x0040_Number
[Column] [ is 0x005B ] is 0x005D x005B_Column_x005D
Column+Plus + is 0x2B Column_x002B_Plus

Regards,

Lin

Community Support Team _ Lin
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi Lin,

Thanks for all the additional info, that fixed it!

BW 

Mark

amitchandak
Super User
Super User

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.