Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

rsmccall33
Helper II
Helper II

URI too long

I'm seeing an error when connecting to an OData feed for a particular table.  I can pull data from other tables from this connection though.

The error:

Failed to save modifications to the server.  Error returned: 'OLE DB or ODBC error: [DataSource.Error] OData: Request failed:  The remote serve rreturned an error: (414) Request-URI Too Long.  (Request-URI Too Long).

Is there a way to increase the character limit?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
rsmccall33
Helper II
Helper II
4 REPLIES 4
romankris

This rare condition is only likely to occur when a client has improperly converted a POST request to a GET request with long query information. The HTTP 414 URI Too Long response status code indicates that the URI(Uniform Resource Identifier) requested by the client is longer than the server is willing to interpret.

To resolve this problem :

• By POST request: Convert query string to json object and sent to API request with POST.
  • By GET request: Max length of request is depend on sever side as well as client side. Most webserver have limit 8k which is configurable. On the client side the different browser has different limit. The browser IE and Safari limit to 2k, Opera 4k and Firefox 8k. This means that the max length for the GET request is 8k and min request length is 2k.

If exceed the request max length then the request truncated outside the limit by web server or browser without any warning. Some server truncated request data but the some server reject it because of data lose and they will return with response code 414 Request-URI Too Long.

Under Apache, the limit is a configurable value, LimitRequestLine. If you want to increase URL limit to 5000 characters (bytes), add the following lines to your server configuration or virtual host file.

LimitRequestLine 5000

If you want to increase maximum header length supported by Apache to 3000 characters, then add the following line.

LimitRequestFieldSize 3000

rsmccall33
Helper II
Helper II

Hello, 

I have read this connected piece - however what is the solution in Desktop when you cannot connect to the object to even include/remove fields? I get the following error and cannot move to the next step of choose columns:

DataSource.Error: Web.Contents failed to get contents from '....(414): URI Too Long

Thanks

This is also my issue, the object is too large to begin with since the URL tries to spell out every field, and Power BI won't load it.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors