Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

UNICHAR characters not displaying correctly for some users

Hi, we have this issue where I am able to see the UNICODE charaters returned by DAX measures in PowerBI Desktop as well as Service environment. (I am using Edge browser and Desktop version is Feb 2021 build). My colleague however sees those characters as small squares. (See images below). He is accessing online reports in Chrome. I shared the PBIX with him and strangely, he doesnt see the proper characters in PBIX as well. 
Here is how I see it. seems the Greens and Yellows have changed to rectangle. 

kevindmonte_0-1615982558928.png

and below is how he see them. 

kevindmonte_1-1615982607270.png

I am using below UNICHAR characters 

UNICHAR ( 128308 )  --RED
UNICHAR ( 128993 ) --YELLOW,
UNICHAR ( 128994 ) --GREEN

has anyone seen a similar issue? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi All, the user was finally able to update his Windows to version 1909. He informed that after this change, he was able to see the UNICHAR characters in published reports in Chrome browser. 

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

I am also facing this issue. Have you found the solution of this issue. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi, It was resolved after the user updated his machine to latest Windows 10 build.

v-luwang-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi  @Anonymous ,

Great! I tried that yesterday, I used measure=UNICHAR (128994) locally and that didn't cause a problem, but looking at it on the VM it showed up as a square, I tried to update the language of the VM and some others but it didn't work. You can mark your own answer as the correct answer so that people with the same problem can easily find it.😆

Best Regards

Lucien

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi All, the user was finally able to update his Windows to version 1909. He informed that after this change, he was able to see the UNICHAR characters in published reports in Chrome browser. 

v-luwang-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

Has your problem been solved, if so, please consider Accept a correct reply as the solution to help others find it.

Best Regards
Lucien

Anonymous
Not applicable

@v-luwang-msft unfortunately not yet. The user tried to install the Windows updates but that's failing. He is going to test the published reports on another laptop to see if that shows all the symbols. Will update when I have more info. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

The other issue I am noticing is that the Green and Yellow unichars are not getting exported to PDF or PPT. see below screenshots from another report where I have used this. The one with all symbols displayed is from Service env. while the one with empty squares and only RED circles coming is the PPT export.

From Power BI Service:

kevindmonte_0-1616494330504.png

From PPT export:

kevindmonte_1-1616494330511.png

So starting to wonder if its due to some UNICHARs not supported. It seems the yellow and green circles are not getting exported.

amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@Anonymous , Really strange. Has he checked on any other browser? Pbix is even more strange.

For the browser ask him to clear the cache and try. or check on some other browser.

What is windows versions ?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Amit, we are using Windows 10 but will need to check the build versions. (surprising thing was he wasn't able to see them properly in Browser) 

Anonymous
Not applicable

@amitchandak  so his Windows 10 machine/laptop is on build 1803 which is bit old. We checked with other users (even other workspaces where I have deployed similar logic) and for them it works fine (different browsers too). I have asked him to upgrade his W10 build by running Windows update. He hasn't come back yet.  I will let you know once he has informed. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.