Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

anil2
Frequent Visitor

UNICHAR DAX function does not exist in Power BI Desktop

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-yulgu-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @anil2,

Based on my test, if we are connecting to SSAS tabular cube in Direct Query mode, UNICHAR() function is not supported. 

Best regards,

Yuliana Gu

Community Support Team _ Yuliana Gu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
v-yulgu-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @anil2,

Based on my test, if we are connecting to SSAS tabular cube in Direct Query mode, UNICHAR() function is not supported. 

Best regards,

Yuliana Gu

Community Support Team _ Yuliana Gu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

I just made a small test and it seems like it depends on the compability level of your model, which makes perfectly sence. UNICHAR is not supported in Analysis Services before compability level 1400 and will only work in Power BI if you create a measure when connected to a model with this compability level (or above)

/sdjensen
Phil_Seamark
Employee
Employee

HI @anil2

It should do, you just need to 1) make sure the value you use is base-10 and a valid unichar character and 2) use a visual that supports them

Measure = UNICHAR(128077) 

produces a thumbs up

image.png

To learn more about DAX visit : aka.ms/practicalDAX

Proud to be a Datanaut!

Thanks. But I am seeing a redmark under UNICHAR when i am trying to create a mesue. It looks like function not available on my destop  version. Please suggest.

What version of Power BI Desktop are you using?

The UNICHAR function was added approx 6 months ago.

Proud to be a Datanaut!

2.56.5023.942 64-bit (March 2018)

HI @anil2

That should be recent enough.  Perhaps it is the value you are passing to it.  Are you trying to pass text???

What happens if you try to generate the calculated measure I suggested in your model?

Test Measure = UNICHAR(128077)

Proud to be a Datanaut!

Unichar.png

anil2
Frequent Visitor

Phil,

I am able to create that function in a new powerbi report.

But that function is not showing in my existing report. I am not sure why. I cannot recreate my existing report because there are so many views in my report.

We are using live conncetion to data source.

Hi @anil2

I wonder if the function is only working in import mode then.  Are you connecting to an Analysis Services  Cube as your live source?  Could you add the calculated measure to that?

Proud to be a Datanaut!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.