Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

ansa_naz
Continued Contributor
Continued Contributor

UK cities are showing in the US in map report

Hi all

I need to create a filled map report which shows the number of buildings per UK city that we look after. However, for some reason, some of the buildings show up in the US instead of the UK. I am not sure how to change this.

My columns of data are as follows:

Building ID - a unique ID for the building

City - Name of city in which building is located, eg Lincoln

Country - Name of country in which building is located. This is always UK as all buildings are in the UK

Zipcode - this is the postcode where the building is located

I have tried the following in the report:

- Added the City field to the Location box, and also added City field to the Colour Saturation box. This does not work - Lincoln shows in the US.

- Added Country to the Location box, and then City below Country in the Location box as a sub-location. I added City into the Colour Saturation box. This did not work, because Lincoln shows in the US when I drilldown from the country level into the City level

- I combined City and Country fields into one field, eg 'Lincoln, UK' and called it 'Location'. I then add this 'Location' field into the Location box, and also added it to the Color Saturation box. This doesnt display anything on the map at all.

How can I force cities which currently show in the US, to instead show in the UK?

All help most appreciated

Cheers

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
v-sihou-msft
Employee
Employee

@ansa_naz

If you’re using Import mode, please make sure you’ve saved your dataset after combine City and Country fields into one field. And then click ‘Refresh’ in Power BI to get the latest data.

I can get this problem solved with your third step. My Power BI version is 2.36.4434.362 64-bit (June 2016)

66.png

Regards,

View solution in original post

@Simon_Hou wrote:

@ansa_naz

If you’re using Import mode, please make sure you’ve saved your dataset after combine City and Country fields into one field. And then click ‘Refresh’ in Power BI to get the latest data.

I can get this problem solved with your third step. My Power BI version is 2.36.4434.362 64-bit (June 2016)

66.png

Regards,

Hi Simon

Just realised that the column name needs to be 'City' - a column name of 'Location' does not work. After changing the column name, it is now all working!! Cheers!!

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
v-sihou-msft
Employee
Employee

@ansa_naz

66.png

Regards,

@Simon_Hou wrote:

@ansa_naz

66.png

Regards,

Hi Simon

Just realised that the column name needs to be 'City' - a column name of 'Location' does not work. After changing the column name, it is now all working!! Cheers!!

Tried this and it's still putting berkshire, UK in the east coast of North America. Well worth the premium price tag each month

Anonymous
Not applicable

I find it interesting that I struggled to get the concatenated "City, Country" to work. But as soon as I changed the field name to "Location" it worked.

Not sure what the difference is, maybe version, but try both if it is not working for you.

Just keep trying random things until something works. Yet another great workflow brought to us from Microsoft

Hi, 

Initially I had just the name of the town or city in the UK in my dataset - this resulted in some being displayed in the US. 

I tried several options including changing the City column to include the Country as well.  However initially this just removed all data points from the map. 

It seems that the selection of the Data Categorisation is critical to ensure that Bing recognises the location correctly. 

I tried using 'City' for the data category, but no luck.  

I then change the data category to 'Place' and this works perfectly, with all data points appearing in the UK, using the format City & ", " & Country e.g. Bangor, UK

Thanks

Dan 

I'm trying this atm and setting to place with the concatenated city/county and country seems to be yielding better results just like it doesn't say in this official documentation (The advice in which doesn't seem to work at all): Set geographic filters in Power BI Desktop for the mobile apps - Power BI | Microsoft Learn.

Man....the order of location definately matters.  After much adjusting, I finally got everything to show in the US.  The order in location from top to bottom was State, City, Zipcode, Country.  I also designated those fields as what they really are by clicking on one field (ex. city) then clicking on Modeling tab and change data category to City.

Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

Here is what I did and it is working.

Country = "United Kingdom" instead of "UK"

Added Country and then City to Location, added Building ID to Legend.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.