Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

andrewjmdata
Frequent Visitor

UK Postal Sector filled/shaded map

Hi, I want to produce thematic/filled/shaded maps at Postal Sector level. Postal Sector is the first part of the Postcode + the 1st character of the 2nd part of the postcode. SW20 8RL is the postcode, SW20 8 is the Postcode Sector.

I can see that the boundary is recognised in Bing, but when I put some test data at Postal Sector level into PBI it plots dots!

Have tried using latest version and with the ArcGIS Viz Icon and the PBI one.

Thanks

Andrew

4 REPLIES 4
andrewjmdata
Frequent Visitor

Hi, I must admit I can't actually remember.

That said, have done similar things with UK wards.  

It had to be done using a Shape file (ESRI format mapping file) for which PBI has an option called "Shape Map Visual" which has to be ticked (File/Options & Settings/Options/Preview Features). tbh I can't recall what we did after but there is documentation on the web from people who did this. I do recall that when we did get it to work, it wasn't a great solution. Am hoping MS improve this area of PBI as its certainly something I would like to use more.

Hope that helps.

Andrew

v-jiascu-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi Andrew,

May I ask what kind of data do you have? Can you share it with us? I tested with the data that I found from Google search. It didn't work.

There is a built-in filled map. If you want it in the ArcGIS map, the snapshot below could help.

UK_Postal_Sector_filledshaded_map

Best Regards,

Dale

Community Support Team _ Dale
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi Dale, the data is the basis for the UK Postal Geography. Basically, the Postal Sector level is the 3rd level down the hierarchy.

I'll use the actual Postcode I mentioned as an example SW20 8RL - There are ~2m Postcodes in the UK - This is actually in SW London.

It starts with Postcode Area - SW - There are ~120 Postcode Areas

Then Postcode District - SW20 - There are ~ 2500 Postcode Districts

Then Postcode Sector - SW20 8 - There are ~9,000 Postcode Sectors

So, what I want to do is plot maps using the Postcode Sector level.

If anyone know if this is possible, I would be grateful.

FYI... it can be done in Tableau!

Regards

Andrew

Hi Andrew,

Did you manage to do this?

Thanks,

Jon

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.