Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

TROYDB
Regular Visitor

U2 Universe database ODBC connection

Hi, 

I hope anyone can help I can't seem to connect to our Universe database using the U2 ODBC driver, the error I recieve: 

"ODBC: ERROR [S1C00] [Rocket U2][U2ODBC][2301827]Driver not capable."

The same DSN works fine in Excel, any help?

18 REPLIES 18
ibarrau
Super User
Super User

I have the same problem. Still can't connect ODBC driver. I solve this for now connecting the with R script throw ODBC driver.

The problem is that R script doesn't work with Enterprise - On premise Gateway. So i don't know what i am going to do when i finished my reports.

It sucks because udl file and R can connect throw the driver, but power bi can't.

Maybe is the 32/64bits driver or something like that.

Regards, hope someone get the solution soon.

P/D Odbc.DataSource("dsn=name") doesn't work.

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Happy to help!

LaDataWeb Blog

Hi

I can connect to my Universe data source via the ODBC connection and i can see my tables

When i select a table however i get the error

DataSource.Error: ODBC: ERROR [S1003] [Rocket U2][U2ODBC][2200285]SQL data type out of range.
Details:
    DataSourceKind=Odbc
    DataSourcePath=dsn=UniverseDev
    OdbcErrors=Table

I finally connect too. With the newest driver the error on the previous post are over.

I manage to get the data without selecting the table. I open the advanced options and write a SELECT * FROM TABLE.

Hope that help

Regards,

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Happy to help!

LaDataWeb Blog

Agreed.  With older drivers, I was able to get each table individually using Advanced and entering a query.

With the newer drivers, 7.241.02.9004 10/17/2022 U2ODBC.DLL, I was able to use PowerBI normally, browsing and selecting tables from the database.

hello.. where can I get the newest driver?

You need to login to the rocket software website

When you said that you finally connect using the 'newest' driver, what driver were you referring to? Universe ODBC driver? Kindly let me know where can i download the aforementioned driver. Thank you.

When you say that you can connect now with the 'newest driver', what driver are you referring to? Universe ODBC driver? Please show me the URL where I can download the latest driver. Thank you.

can you please explain more?

i use this query

= Odbc.DataSource("dsn=UniverseDev", [HierarchicalNavigation=true])

and i can see the tables

how do i now write query to return data from specific table?

Just add the query before connecting. Open de advance option:

Captura.PNG

Write the dsn, add the query, then when you accept it should ask for credentials and the table will be returned.

Regards, hope this helps. You can add it on power query too.

Happy to help!

LaDataWeb Blog

mi55cu

Hi,

We have the same problem and am interested to hear the solution/response

Cheers

Hi mi55cu,

The problem is that this driver doesn't support something we do, but there's a simple work around:

Go to "Get Data" > "Blank Query" and then type this to the formula bar:

= Odbc.DataSource("dsn=YOURDSNNAME")

(This disables hierarchical navigation)

Thanks

Hi Arify, 

Thank you , I now recive a new error : 

Failed to save modifications to the server. Error returned: 'OLE DB or ODBC error: [DataSource.Error] ODBC: ERROR [S1C00] [Rocket U2][U2ODBC][2301827]Driver not capable..'.

That looks like the same error. Did it happen when you used Blank Query > Odbc.Datasource("dsnname") ? That's odd..

Can you please send us a frown with traces when you're doing Blank Query > ... ?

Thank you very much

Thanks arify, I've conveyed this to our IT support. I think we operate on IBM's Unidata - will the solution be different in this case?

It'll probably work, as long as there isn't another issue 🙂

arify
Employee
Employee

Can you please send us a frown email with this error (On the top-left corner there's a smiley, you can see the frown button if you click the little down arrow right next to it)?

If you can attach the trace files too (Options > Diagnostics > Enable Tracing, and while it's enabled, reproduce the error. Trace files will appear in the traces folder)?

Thanks

Hi, 

Thank you for your help!

I have sent the frown with the details.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.