Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Type mismatch: Unable to convert a value to the data type requested (Gateway Error)

we have NPI column has contains below like data number's and names. i fixed the npi column data type as a text. when i'm refreshing in gateway showing the below type mismatch error. We need both NPI names & Id's. can you please guide me how to resolve this error

rveerasamy1_0-1602308613384.png

Processing error: The following system error occurred: Type mismatch. Unable to convert a value to the data type requested for table 'Surgeon Sales' column 'NPI'. The data provider was unable to convert the value 'Kevin Boyer' from the source data type 'VT_BSTR' to the expected data type 'VT_I8'. Please check the column data types in the data model and data source and ensure that the data types are compatible. Cluster URI: WABI-US-EAST2-redirect.analysis.windows.net Activity ID: 7130e1e3-a46b-4e32-9ba4-e1168fab10b7 Request ID: 95d8cb13-5378-eaae-723f-45831cc86d57 Time: 2020-10-08 13:23:06Z

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-xicai
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

You may enter into Query Editor in Power BI Desktop, go to APPLIED STEPS, find the step named "Changed type" , delete this step.

Or you may go to File -> Options and settings -> Options ->CURRENT FILE ->Data Load, don't tick the option "Detect column types and headers for unstructured sources", restart the Power BI Desktop to take effect of this change.

Detect Type 2.png

Best Regards,

Amy 

Community Support Team _ Amy

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
v-xicai
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

You may enter into Query Editor in Power BI Desktop, go to APPLIED STEPS, find the step named "Changed type" , delete this step.

Or you may go to File -> Options and settings -> Options ->CURRENT FILE ->Data Load, don't tick the option "Detect column types and headers for unstructured sources", restart the Power BI Desktop to take effect of this change.

Detect Type 2.png

Best Regards,

Amy 

Community Support Team _ Amy

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

@v-xicai @VijayP can those two tickable options be set to unticked by default please? It would appear that whenever a dashboard is published and then downloaded as PBIX from the service, those options re-tick themselves, causing problems with refreshes with previously functional dashboards. Having these ticked by default is REALLY annoying.

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/Type-mismatch-Unable-to-convert-a-value-to-the-data-type/m-...

VijayP
Super User
Super User

@Anonymous 

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/Type-mismatch-Unable-to-convert-a-value-to-the-data-type/td-p/974539

Use this Thread to get solution . Share your Kudoes, you can watch my Power BI Videos at www.youtube.com/perepavijay

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! Appreciate your Kudos!!
MY Blog || My YouTube Channel || Connect with me on Linkedin || My Latest Data Story - Ageing Analysis

Proud to be a Super User!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.