Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

CouchUser

Two tables linked with a MasterCalendar table - filter Table A through B not working

Hello,

i'm struggeling with a hopeful basic PowerBI feature... i have created a MasterCalendar table (lets call it table C)

and connected my two data tables (A and B) with it. Both linked with a created date to the unique datetime key in the MasterCalendar. So Table A many:one Table C one:many Table B.

If I know filter Table C , date xy it filters both tables A and B.

But if I extra filter table A for an employee for example. B is not filtered.

Am I doing something wrong or is my understanding already wrong.

Thanks in advance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @CouchUser ,

We create a sample like your screenshot. If the two relationships are Both, when you filter Table B, the Table A will be filtered.

T1.jpg

T2.jpg

T3.jpg

Maybe the inactive Interaction stop the filtering. Please check the Format -> Edit interaction, and make sure each visual is filtered.

T4.jpg

If it doesn’t meet your requirement, could you please show the exact expected result based on the pbix that we have shared?

Best regards,

Community Support Team _ zhenbw

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

BTW, PBIX as attached.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@CouchUser , Only common filters will impact both tables. If you filter something from table A or from a table joined only to A, it will not impact table B.

MFelix
Super User
Super User

Hi @CouchUser ,

I assume based on your description that if have filtering for single side that means that a filter made in table C will filter table A and table B but not the other way around.

In this case and without knowing any more specifics on your model if you have an employee on both table you need also to create the dimension table to filter out both tables just as you have dates.

If that is not the case then you can try to turn on the filtering onj the relationship to both sides but be advise that this may cause your results to not be the correct ones if you don't set your visualization correctly.

Regards

Miguel Félix

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Check out my blog: Power BI em Português

CouchUser_0-1594718225932.png

CouchUser_1-1594718470187.png

Maybe it's better explained with the screenshots. So Table A (Mitarbeiter, englisch Employee) has a Date (Datum) and there will be many rows in that table but the Date is only once in the MasterCalendar table. Same for the table B (Result).

1. If i filter a Date on the MasterCalendar it filters both tables Table A and Table B (Employee and Results).

2. So lets say i filter a row in the Result table (Table B), this result has a Date (Ergebnis_Datum) e.g. '2020-07-14 'and  should match the one entry in my MasterCalender depending on the Date in the result row. So this filter should now also filter all rows in Table A ( Employe, Mitarbeiter) with that Date.  But that doesn't work for me.

Hi @CouchUser ,

We create a sample like your screenshot. If the two relationships are Both, when you filter Table B, the Table A will be filtered.

T1.jpg

T2.jpg

T3.jpg

Maybe the inactive Interaction stop the filtering. Please check the Format -> Edit interaction, and make sure each visual is filtered.

T4.jpg

If it doesn’t meet your requirement, could you please show the exact expected result based on the pbix that we have shared?

Best regards,

Community Support Team _ zhenbw

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

BTW, PBIX as attached.

Thank you very much for the effort.

I know got it, mainly i had an issue with my data source and the idea i had to link them together.

Now everything is clear.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.