Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Two tables - Select item on 1st Table, shows detailed data on second table?

I want to use a Gantt chart to show a summary of all 2018 projects.    Table 1 will be used to populate the Gantt chart.   Table 2 is a regular table with specific Tasks.   What I want to happen is when I select an entry in Table 1, I'd like for Table 2 to display the task information in a separate table below the Gantt chart?    As an Example:

Table 1:                    Table 2:

Name                        Name

Start Date                 Task

Finish Date 

% Complete

Two separate tables (Table 1 and Table 2) - Table 1 is a rollup of Table 2.   Assume the "Name" field in the Gantt chart has an entry called "Marketing Projects".  When I select "Marketing Projects" on the Gantt chart, how can I get Table 2 data to display all relative content to the "Marketing Projects" from Table 2?

Table 2  

Name                              Task  

Marketing Projects         Marketing Campaign            

Marketing Projects         TV and Print Ads             

Marketing Projects         E-Mail Blasts                   

etc.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous
Not applicable

Whatever you click on in the Gantt chart is setting up your filter context.  When you click on the gantt chart, it sounds like you are effectively selecting a record, rather than selecting a topic/group etc.  You might wish to investigate if thats what the Gantt visual is doing.

Altnerately, you could set up a slicer which shows the different marketing projects in a list.  Selecting a single project here should show you the correct filtering.  If it doesn't, you need to review your data structure.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Does the project name have unique values in Table 1 or Table 2? If yes, you can create a relationship using project name between these two tables. Then, Table 2 data would be able to display all relative content from Table 1. If none of project name have unique values in Table 1 and Table 2, you need to create a new Table for storing unique project name, then use this new Table as a bridge to connect Table 1 and Table 2.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the help.    I am now linked between the two tables, however, I am not getting the expected results.    The results I was hoping to get is the following:

1) Click on the Gantt bar representing Marketing projects 

2) The List below that contains multiple entries for Marketing showing resource assigned, % complete, etc.  

My attempts are only allowing me to match one entry with one bar.    How can I get it to show all details for that one bar?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Whatever you click on in the Gantt chart is setting up your filter context.  When you click on the gantt chart, it sounds like you are effectively selecting a record, rather than selecting a topic/group etc.  You might wish to investigate if thats what the Gantt visual is doing.

Altnerately, you could set up a slicer which shows the different marketing projects in a list.  Selecting a single project here should show you the correct filtering.  If it doesn't, you need to review your data structure.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for your help!

Anonymous
Not applicable

This should be relatively straight forward. You just need to make sure you have linked your Table 1 and Table 2 together using the Relationships screen of Power BI.

If your tables relate correctly, your visuals will update with whatever filter context you use.  If your Visual 1 is set up to allow filtering, then when a user clicks on whatever items you have displayed, Visual 2 will display that context.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.