Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Two different dates related to the same variable! Help!

Hello Everyone!

In my databases I have two dates for the same variable. One is related to creating product code (ex. PBP/18/333, PBP/19/333, PBP/20/333) and another one is related to the date when this code was accepted by the customer (separate spreedsheet). I've made a relationship between those codes in both databases. The problem is that when i want to calculate how many codes were accepted in a specific year, codes created in other year are not included into this sum. May I ask for your help?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous
Not applicable

I will tel you a little tale about bumblebee. You see, scientists have proven that wings of a bumblebee are way to small to lift such big weight ... but the bumblebee doesn't know about that, and flies anyway.

I managed to fix all my issues with my report. I've cross check all databases and I'm sure that numbers shown are correct.

Thank you very much for your advice. I will still want to finish some Power BI coarse as I'm ambisious and stuborn.

Kind regards,

Daniel 

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

You have to have two different date dimensions filtering your table, or the same date dim with an active and inactive relationship. Can you post a screenshot of your model?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Here you go. Would you be so kind and explain your solution with more detiles? I'm compleatly new to Power Bi.

MODEL.jpg

@Anonymous ,

I am unable to combine the problem description and data model share.  Can you explain with an example.

I would have moved created date to the table have code accepted

date create = minx(filter(Product,product[product code]=table[product code]),product[created at]).

Now if you have to keep both with the same date dimension. And use the same filter refer: https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Community-Blog/HR-Analytics-Active-Employee-Hire-and-Termination-trend/ba-p/882970

In case you need to work with two different date ranges: https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Community-Blog/Comparing-Data-Across-Date-Ranges/ba-p/823601

Modification need as the above one is on the same date in fact.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

I'll try to give you and example:

Project XYZ was created in 2017 (ORE created) and converted into product in 2019 (Convertions Database). Now, when I try to filter convertions dates to show only results from 2019, XYZ won't be included because it was created in 2017. It's odd and I don't know where the mistake lays...
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi 

where are your projects stored (i.e project xyz)?

Anyway, all those bi-directional relationships are dangerous and makes the model difficult to debug. Unfortunately you HAVE TO study how powerbi works, you can't just plug & play, especially where there are several tables connected.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hehe, I can see that both of us have nothing better to do on Sundays night than to write comments on power no forum 😉

Convertions, Ore created and other mentioned in the model are being stored in separate spreadsheets. I can't merge them in any way.

I know that I don't know nothing about power bi. I'm willing to learn and I'm doing everything that I can to master this software.

Anyway thank you for your commitment in solving my mystery.
Anonymous
Not applicable

"Hehe, I can see that both of us have nothing better to do on Sundays night than to write comments on power no forum "

You too 🙂

Anyway, the committment is ok BUT trust me: you CANNOT learn PBI by "starting using it and playing around". I know something like (with different levels, of course) Visual Basic, C, C++, Java, Javascript, Pascal, R, SQL and DAX.
No other language (maybe R, maybe) made me sweat blood like DAX because DAX cannot be learned one piece at a time by playing around and looking at example, forums etc. You *need* to study and really comprehend how it works inside. If you don't do it

- the best scenario is that you will fight a lot with it

- the worst scenario is that you make it work and give you a number, but that number will be wrong and you won't be able to understand why, exposing wrong numbers to your stakeholders.

Do yourself a favor. Go to sqlbi.com and run their free course.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I will do that because I really want to know how to properly use power bi. I'm learning python as well.

Problem is, that I need to generate this mentioned report now and not after a year spent on learning.

May I ask you for your advice on that one?
Anonymous
Not applicable

I will tel you a little tale about bumblebee. You see, scientists have proven that wings of a bumblebee are way to small to lift such big weight ... but the bumblebee doesn't know about that, and flies anyway.

I managed to fix all my issues with my report. I've cross check all databases and I'm sure that numbers shown are correct.

Thank you very much for your advice. I will still want to finish some Power BI coarse as I'm ambisious and stuborn.

Kind regards,

Daniel 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.