Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

JeromeBonte
Regular Visitor

Two calendar slicers (standard periods + custom)

Hello all,

I am just starting up with Power BI, so I am still trying to find my way.

Is it possible to combine two calendar slicers in a report that work together? 

I would like to filter sales data per certain standard periods (YTD, TTM, Prior year, prior month, ...) while still being able to filter a custom period (date to date).

I now have a slicer put in place with an actual select function (YTD, TTM, ...), but it does not relate/connect to the other date filter next to it. Ideally it would change its dates when changing the standard period filter. And if you want to select a custom period (say from 5 april 2018 to 15 August 2018) the actual select function should change to a new item called 'custom'. 

So in essence, the date filters should 'communicate' with eachother and should overrule eachother when changing anything in one of the two slicers. 

See printscreen below, I deleted the turnovers though 😉 

Is this possible in power BI?

Thank you very much,
Jerome

Capture.JPG

3 REPLIES 3
DouweMeer
Post Prodigy
Post Prodigy

@JeromeBonte 

Only way that I can think of is that you create an additional table with your slicer containing the YTD CY with the related dates per option. Then make create a 1:many relationship between your date table and the slicer table via the dates. This way you use the funcitonality of the relationship to slim down the context of the available options in your date visual. 

This way a selection in table 1 will slim down the available dates in your date table. Regarding DAX, you could think of using Union to combine several selectcolumns. In the selectcolumns you can apply a filter over the date table. 

@DouweMeer 

Thank you for proposing this solution.

I am afraid that implementing this is a bit above my skill level. Is there any tutorial that could help me with this? 

Kind regards, 

Jerome

@JeromeBonte 

I would say it works similar to this : 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lFd2hjkKz_Q

Good luck. As an American would say, it is a very powerful tool :). 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.