Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Two Date Slicers and Filter in DAX measure

I have created a general setup similar to what's described here https://www.sqlbi.com/articles/filtering-and-comparing-different-time-periods-with-power-bi/#code1 so I have two independent date slicers ("Date.1" and "Date.2") on one page. 

Then I created few measures adding "ALL('Date.1'[Date]),USERELATIONSHIP('Date.1'[Date],'Date.2'[Date])" within my Calculate function. Most of the time it works perfectly but I have a problem whenever I need to use an other Filter function (see example below) in my measure. It looks like if my selected range for "Date.2" is not within Date.1 result is wrong. Either the starting date or ending date of Period-1 will still affect my measure for Period-2 which is obviously not what I want.

Here is an example:

- This formula counts the number of different production line being operated (meaning with production >0) over a specific period:

DIFF LINE PREV. = CALCULATE(DISTINCTCOUNT(Database[LINE #]),FILTER(Database,[DAILY PLAN Prev. P.]>0),ALL('Date.1'[Date]),USERELATIONSHIP('Date.1'[Date],'Date.2'[Date]))

- The underlying formula for production (Daily Plan Prev. P.) is:

DAILY PLAN Prev. P. = CALCULATE(SUM(Database[DAILY PLAN]),ALL('Date.1'),USERELATIONSHIP('Date.1'[Date],'Date.2'[Date]))

If Date.2 is withing Date.1 it works fine but now if Date.1 is before Date.2 result is "(Blank)". I guess I am missing something in

"Filter(Database[Daily Plan Prev. P]>0)"  as if I delete this part of the formula Date.1 no longer affects my measure. However result is still wrong as it returns all lines even if the production is 0.

Does anyone know what I am missing here to completely segregate this measure from my Date.1 filter?

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @Anonymous

You may change the relationship first and then create the measures with USERELATIONSHIP Function. Here is the sample file for your reference.

Regards,

Cherie

Community Support Team _ Cherie Chen
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
v-cherch-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @Anonymous

Could you share some data sample and expected output? You can upload it to OneDrive or Dropbox and post the link here. 

How to Get Your Question Answered Quickly

Regards,

Cherie

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

HI @v-cherch-msft

Here is an example: Dropbox

Thanks,

Hi @Anonymous

You may change the relationship first and then create the measures with USERELATIONSHIP Function. Here is the sample file for your reference.

Regards,

Cherie

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks @v-cherch-msft works well but I also need to update my formula on the left hand size to be filtered with Date Slicer 1:

DIFF LINE = CALCULATE(DISTINCTCOUNT(Data[Line #]),FILTER(Data,[Prod.]>0),USERELATIONSHIP(Data[Date],'Date.1'[Date]))

So I would need to create new measures for both my Date Slicer-1 and 2 which is not ideal but I still acceptable.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

I actually found a workaround by editing the interaction of the first Date filter so that it does not affect this KPI but it is not ideal. I would rather fix the formula itself. Will share shortly data + output.

Thanks.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors