Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Turning a measure into a column that updates dynamically

Hi,  Newish to BI so help would be much appreciated 🙂

I have a calculated measure in a table in PowerBi desktop report, to create some customer brackets based on Cash flow over past 30 days.
This measure is generated with inputs that can be adjusted via sliders to indicate & increases, which impact on the adjusted cash bracket

However I need to turn use this measure data in a matrix/chart and I cannot use the measure on the legend or axis on chart.

Here is what the table looks like at a customer level.Table.PNG

The last column is the measure I have created, based on the following DAX

CashBracket Adjusted = IF(CustomerProfile[Cash Last 30 Adjusted] <=0, "5.Distressed",
IF(CustomerProfile[Cash Last 30 Adjusted] <= 200, "4.Stretched", IF(CustomerProfile[Cash Last 30 Adjusted] <= 400,
"3.Ticking Over", IF(CustomerProfile[Cash Last 30 Adjusted] <= 1000, "2.Comfortable", "1.Secure")))

I have tried to create a column that references the measure outputs, but it appears that this column doesnt update when I adjust the filters/sliders.
Where I would expect to see a new result( cash bracket) on a row, it appears as it is just showing the original Cash Bracket value, and not the new one.

Look forward to any ideas
Cheers

2 REPLIES 2
dax
Community Support
Community Support

Hi Matt_Mcmillin, 

You should know calculated column is different from measure, they refer to different context. And calculated Column  can't based on  slicer context. You need to use measure to achieve this goal. You  could inform me more detailed information (such  as your sample and  your expecting output).

Please do mask sensitive data before uploading.

Thanks for your understanding and support.
Best Regards,
Zoe Zhi

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi, 
I have looked at this again and have tried to create a column that references the Measure( "Cash Bracket Adjusted") and uses Variables as per the DAX below

CashBracket Adjusted1 =
VAR CASHADJUSTED = CustomerProfile[CashBracket Adjusted]
VAR BRACKET = IF(CASHADJUSTED = "5.Distressed", "5.Distressed", IF(CASHADJUSTED = "4.Stretched", "4.Stretched", IF(CASHADJUSTED= "3.Ticking Over", "3.Ticking Over", IF(CASHADJUSTED = "2.Comfortable", "2.Comfortable", IF(CASHADJUSTED = "1.Secure", "1.Secure", "No")))))
RETURN BRACKET

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.