Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Turn off refresh data during modeling / data shaping

I am using the desktop client and pulling data from an  azure sql data warehouse.  The main table has 10 million records and everytime i edit the query / modify the model, it has to requery the main table....Is there a way around this? I have tried all different combinations of "Enable Load"...."Enable Refresh"...

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
meysun
Resolver IV
Resolver IV

It will only load the data when you swich to Report canvas. May be during the development type if you don't need all the rows, then in query window you can choose to keep only the top n rows. After all the development is done, then you can remove this step in the query window.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
jaykilleen
Advocate II
Advocate II

I am curioius to know if anyone with this issue has tried running a DEV database instead of pulling from LIVE (ie SQL Server).

My thought is to create a variable called 'environment' where I can change it from 'development' to 'production' and if the environment equals development then I point my data to local stored copies of the production database.

Sort of like a seed data but populated using real data from the system.

Would this speed up my dev process? I think it would as it would pull the data from excel files. I can then have those Excel files pull from SQL Server using the basic power query scripts that my Power BI queries would use when in the production environment.

Anyone care to comment? That would be great.

meysun
Resolver IV
Resolver IV

It will only load the data when you swich to Report canvas. May be during the development type if you don't need all the rows, then in query window you can choose to keep only the top n rows. After all the development is done, then you can remove this step in the query window.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.