Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Domenick
Helper IV
Helper IV

Turn off date hierarchy?

I basically want to add a "Week Of" level to my date hierarchy. I've created a new field that captures the Monday of whatever date is specified, but PowerBI has automatically detected it as a date and created a hierarchy. This makes me unable to add the date to the existing date hierarchy. Any suggestions?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
PaulDBrown
Community Champion
Community Champion

@Domenick 

You can turn it off in Options and Settings, under Data Load, by unchecking the box for automatic time intelligence.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
In doing so, you are also helping me. Thank you!

Proud to be a Super User!
Paul on Linkedin.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
MDKCLIRResearch
Helper III
Helper III

This did not work at all for me.  I turned off "Time intelligence" and set the Date column to "Date only" in Transform data.  Nothing that I have tried allows me to use a date without the hierarchy.  

I am guessing the only way to do this is to create a text column containing a date string.  None of the options presented here work.  It would be nice to find something that does not require a special workaround or fix in Power BI.

PaulDBrown
Community Champion
Community Champion

@Domenick 

You can turn it off in Options and Settings, under Data Load, by unchecking the box for automatic time intelligence.

Paul on Linkedin.

@PaulDBrown  Will that turn off the existing hierarchies for all the dates in this report? I don't want to do that 😥

@Domenick 

Yes, it will turn off all existing date hierarchies. (that is actually how I work in all my projects. I much prefer creating my own columns in my date table and use those - especially relevant for week number and weekday number, where I need to specify the start day. for example, my weeks start on Monday, whereas PBI's default is Sunday)

Paul on Linkedin.

@PaulDBrownThanks! I went ahead and did what you suggested. But how can I get the months to appear as the full month name instead of numbered months (January instead of just "1") while still maintaining the proper order?

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Domenick 

You can do this in the Dataview tab:

select monthname column, click column tools and click sort by column, then select monthNr.

sortbymonth.png

@AnonymousThanks. How did you get there? None of my screens have menus that looks like that, and I don't see a "Sort by column" anywhere. 

Edit: Found it in the Report View! But mine looks like this:

Capture.PNG

Perhaps because mine is a DirectQuery, but I'm not sure.

Thanks again.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Domenick 
It's because I'm using the new Ribbon from the november(?) update of Power BI.

https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/updated-ribbon-experience-for-power-bi-desktop/

You're welcome!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.