Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Domenick
Helper IV
Helper IV

Turn off date hierarchy?

I basically want to add a "Week Of" level to my date hierarchy. I've created a new field that captures the Monday of whatever date is specified, but PowerBI has automatically detected it as a date and created a hierarchy. This makes me unable to add the date to the existing date hierarchy. Any suggestions?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
PaulDBrown
Community Champion
Community Champion

@Domenick 

You can turn it off in Options and Settings, under Data Load, by unchecking the box for automatic time intelligence.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
In doing so, you are also helping me. Thank you!

Proud to be a Super User!
Paul on Linkedin.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
MDKCLIRResearch
Helper III
Helper III

This did not work at all for me.  I turned off "Time intelligence" and set the Date column to "Date only" in Transform data.  Nothing that I have tried allows me to use a date without the hierarchy.  

I am guessing the only way to do this is to create a text column containing a date string.  None of the options presented here work.  It would be nice to find something that does not require a special workaround or fix in Power BI.

PaulDBrown
Community Champion
Community Champion

@Domenick 

You can turn it off in Options and Settings, under Data Load, by unchecking the box for automatic time intelligence.

Paul on Linkedin.

@PaulDBrown  Will that turn off the existing hierarchies for all the dates in this report? I don't want to do that 😥

@Domenick 

Yes, it will turn off all existing date hierarchies. (that is actually how I work in all my projects. I much prefer creating my own columns in my date table and use those - especially relevant for week number and weekday number, where I need to specify the start day. for example, my weeks start on Monday, whereas PBI's default is Sunday)

Paul on Linkedin.

@PaulDBrownThanks! I went ahead and did what you suggested. But how can I get the months to appear as the full month name instead of numbered months (January instead of just "1") while still maintaining the proper order?

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Domenick 

You can do this in the Dataview tab:

select monthname column, click column tools and click sort by column, then select monthNr.

sortbymonth.png

@AnonymousThanks. How did you get there? None of my screens have menus that looks like that, and I don't see a "Sort by column" anywhere. 

Edit: Found it in the Report View! But mine looks like this:

Capture.PNG

Perhaps because mine is a DirectQuery, but I'm not sure.

Thanks again.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Domenick 
It's because I'm using the new Ribbon from the november(?) update of Power BI.

https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/updated-ribbon-experience-for-power-bi-desktop/

You're welcome!

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.