Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

dacougars

Trying to write a DAX caclulate formula with filters not working.

I am relatively new to power BI and I am trying to get a formula to work.  I am trying to calculate using a measure and filtering out certain codes to get the net revenue.  However when I enter the below formula I get the following error

Too few arguments were passed to the FILTER function. The minimum argument count for the function is 2.

=Calculate([Actual Gross Revenue],
FILTER(LEFT('Service Billed Revenue'[Account & Subaccount 2],4)="4120" ||
LEFT('Service Billed Revenue'[Account & Subaccount 2],4)="4263"))

How do I write the above formula?  If someone could help me with this would be appreciated. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
OwenAuger
Super User
Super User

Hi @dacougars

Without changing your tables in any way, I would write this particular formula like this:

=
CALCULATE (
    [Actual Gross Revenue],
    FILTER (
        VALUES ( 'Service Billed Revenue'[Account & Subaccount 2] ),
        LEFT ( 'Service Billed Revenue'[Account & Subaccount 2], 4 ) = "4120"
            || LEFT ( 'Service Billed Revenue'[Account & Subaccount 2], 4 ) = "4263"
    )
)

The main thing to note is that FILTER takes a table as its first argument, and a boolean expression as its second argument. The table can either be a physical table or a table produced by a DAX function. In this case, it is sufficient to filter the list of values in the column 'Service Billed Revenue'[Account & Subaccount 2] which is what VALUES ( 'Service Billed Revenue'[Account & Subaccount 2] ) gives us.

You may consider adding a column to the table 'Service Billed Revenue' that contains the first 4 characters of 'Service Billed Revenue'[Account & Subaccount 2], which will allow more efficient filtering. For example you could then write a measure like:

=
CALCULATE (
    [Actual Gross Revenue],
    'Service Billed Revenue'[Account & Subaccount 2 first 4 chars]
        IN { "4120", "4263" }
)

Regards,

Owen

Owen Auger
Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
Blog
Twitter
LinkedIn

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
tex628
Community Champion
Community Champion

The filter function takes two expressions, like this:

FILTER( Table ; Filter expression )

In your example you include only the filter expression, you need to have something similar to this:

=Calculate([Actual Gross Revenue],
FILTER('Service BIlled Revenue',LEFT('Service Billed Revenue'[Account & Subaccount 2],4)="4120" ||
LEFT('Service Billed Revenue'[Account & Subaccount 2],4)="4263"))

You have to specify which table the filter is supposed to affect, in this case i assumed it to be 'Service BIlled Revenue'.

Hope this helps!

/ J

Connect on LinkedIn
OwenAuger
Super User
Super User

Hi @dacougars

Without changing your tables in any way, I would write this particular formula like this:

=
CALCULATE (
    [Actual Gross Revenue],
    FILTER (
        VALUES ( 'Service Billed Revenue'[Account & Subaccount 2] ),
        LEFT ( 'Service Billed Revenue'[Account & Subaccount 2], 4 ) = "4120"
            || LEFT ( 'Service Billed Revenue'[Account & Subaccount 2], 4 ) = "4263"
    )
)

The main thing to note is that FILTER takes a table as its first argument, and a boolean expression as its second argument. The table can either be a physical table or a table produced by a DAX function. In this case, it is sufficient to filter the list of values in the column 'Service Billed Revenue'[Account & Subaccount 2] which is what VALUES ( 'Service Billed Revenue'[Account & Subaccount 2] ) gives us.

You may consider adding a column to the table 'Service Billed Revenue' that contains the first 4 characters of 'Service Billed Revenue'[Account & Subaccount 2], which will allow more efficient filtering. For example you could then write a measure like:

=
CALCULATE (
    [Actual Gross Revenue],
    'Service Billed Revenue'[Account & Subaccount 2 first 4 chars]
        IN { "4120", "4263" }
)

Regards,

Owen

Owen Auger
Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
Blog
Twitter
LinkedIn

Thanks OwenAuger for the quick reply.  That is very helpful and makes sense to me. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.