Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

arelf27
Helper II
Helper II

Trying to use slicer on top of a group, it's not working

I've created a "New group" to group together a text field. Now when I put two slicers on the report, one holding my group and another holdings original field, the two of them do not work together correctly at all.. When I select an option from a slicer that's holding group values and look at my values that are left in the slicer that's using the original field, the values in this second slicer are all over the place.. I guess I would expect to see the same values as how I set-up my group.. I also tried to use hierarchy slicer and got the same inconsistencies with top tree nodes and expanded tree nodes showing values (not the way I've set-up a Power BI group).. Anyone know if this is suppose to work and if not, why not?

Thank You

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
arelf27
Helper II
Helper II

I figured out the issue so ignore my previous thread.....  User Error... I didn't realize but in my table I had two different fields: Account Type and Type... I used Account Type to create my group and put into slicer but used Type in the 2nd slicer... Completely didn't realize that these were two different fields.. So of course they didn't correspond to each other (the values in both are similar that's why it wasn't apparent to me that I wasn't using the same fields...) Also did the same mistake for Hierarchy slicer (used the wrong field from table...) Didn't realize there were two...  Now all is working.

Thank You for trying to help.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
arelf27
Helper II
Helper II

I figured out the issue so ignore my previous thread.....  User Error... I didn't realize but in my table I had two different fields: Account Type and Type... I used Account Type to create my group and put into slicer but used Type in the 2nd slicer... Completely didn't realize that these were two different fields.. So of course they didn't correspond to each other (the values in both are similar that's why it wasn't apparent to me that I wasn't using the same fields...) Also did the same mistake for Hierarchy slicer (used the wrong field from table...) Didn't realize there were two...  Now all is working.

Thank You for trying to help.

v-yulgu-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @arelf27,

Please make sure the interaction between the two slicers is turned on.

1.PNG

Besides, how did you create groups? Would you please show us some examples?

Best regards,

Yuliana Gu

Community Support Team _ Yuliana Gu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Yes I checked the interaction and it's on (although it should be on by default unless you specifically change..) I created an automatic group using Power BI (click on three dots next to field name > New group) I don't know but I feel like this feature never worked for me properly... Are there limitations/bugs with this feature?  My data is also scketchy (but it comes from a vendor system so it is what it is...) but it might be that Power BI is getting confused... 

This is what data looks like:

Client Drill-In (the name I gave to upper hierarchy)

Underneath I grouped:

Client;Consultant

Client;Past Client

Competitor Drill-In (the name I gave to upper hierarchy)

Undernath I grouped:

Competitor;Client

Competitor;Past Client

..so as you can see one culprit might be using semi-colon? Also I have "Past Client" wording in both.... Though PowerBI should know to look for entire word combination not just a part of it? 

I'd like to understand exactly why it's not working so I know what to fix or avoid in the future.... Maybe it's a bug that needs to be reported to Power BI..

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors