Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Trying to recreate a measures calculation to either a calculated table or calculated column

Hello everyone,

My problem is a big one that I have been struggling with for a while. To put the question is context I have 3 columns that are essentially used in the calculation of the measure:

Column 1 where the values Cash

Column 2 where the values Names

Column 3 where the values are Names and Dates Combined 

When creating the measure I was able to use this formula to get the desired calculation: 

measure = DIVIDE(SUM(Table[Column1]), DISTINCTCOUNT(Table[Column3]))

Then I was able to get the desired calculation by dragging and dropping the measure and Column 2 into the same table thus creating this measure by Name.

The problem is I have been trying to recreate this measure as a calculated column or as a calculated table but have not had any luck using groupby and summarize functions as they have come out to be much larger values than the actual calculations.

I was wondering if anyone could possibly help me out with this complex problem I've been having.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-yulgu-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @Anonymous,

Calculated column:

New Column =
DIVIDE (
    CALCULATE ( SUM ( Table[Column1] ), ALLEXCEPT ( Table, Table[Column2] ) ),
    CALCULATE (
        DISTINCTCOUNT ( Table[Column3] ),
        ALLEXCEPT ( Table, Table[Column2] )
    )
)

Calculated table:

New Table =
ADDCOLUMNS (
    SUMMARIZE (
        Table,
        Table[Column2],
        "Sum", SUM ( Table[Column1] ),
        "Count", DISTINCTCOUNT ( Table[Column3] )
    ),
    "divide", [Sum] / [Count]
)

Best regards,

Yuliana Gu

Community Support Team _ Yuliana Gu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
v-yulgu-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @Anonymous,

Calculated column:

New Column =
DIVIDE (
    CALCULATE ( SUM ( Table[Column1] ), ALLEXCEPT ( Table, Table[Column2] ) ),
    CALCULATE (
        DISTINCTCOUNT ( Table[Column3] ),
        ALLEXCEPT ( Table, Table[Column2] )
    )
)

Calculated table:

New Table =
ADDCOLUMNS (
    SUMMARIZE (
        Table,
        Table[Column2],
        "Sum", SUM ( Table[Column1] ),
        "Count", DISTINCTCOUNT ( Table[Column3] )
    ),
    "divide", [Sum] / [Count]
)

Best regards,

Yuliana Gu

Community Support Team _ Yuliana Gu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

@v-yulgu-msft Nevermind, your answer works. I was having some troubles in other areas but that is being sorted out. Thank you so much for a great answer!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello,

Thank you for replying to my post! Both solutions didnt work and when looking at the sum and count for the calculated tables they were way bigger than the sum and count for the measure used to calculate the average. 

The excel function that I am trying to replicate in Power BI is pretty much a pivot table of Column2 as the rows and Column3 as the columns and Column1 as the values. Then I wanted to divide the total sum of each of the rows of the tables by the count of how many values there were in that row and this would make the average for each person in Column2

Please let me know if that made sense or if you think that is not possible in Power BI.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.