Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

djones
Frequent Visitor

Trying to display composite and individual data in a line chart based on a specific column

A simplified version of data I'm working with for example purposes:

IdentifierData1StageCompleted?
Active121 
Active142 
Active241 
Active232 
Active351 
Active342 
Completed1614/15/2019
Completed1724/15/2019
Completed2414/12/2019
Completed2224/12/2019
Completed3813/28/2019
Completed3623/28/2019
Completed4812/15/2019
Completed4222/15/2019

Stage would be along the X-Axis (so only 1 and 2 for this example). I would have 4 lines. 

Active 1: 2 , 4

Active 2: 4 , 3

Active 3: 5 , 4

CompositeCompleted: 6.5 , 4.25 (average of all Completed for each stage)

Basically, I'm trying to plot all active data as individual lines, and then all completed data as one line. I have the data plotting correctly independent of each other. I have created 2 measures - one called Active and the other called Composite. Composite takes the avg(Data1) and filters where Completed? is not blank. Active looks where Completed? is blank. If I put Composite as a Value and do not include anything in my Legend - it graphs fine. If I put Active in my Values and include Identifier in the Legend, it plots all 3 lines. I don't know how to plot one composite line and also the 3 non-composite lines at the same time. I can't seem to figure it out. I really tried to simplify what I'm doing for help - but if you need more details please let me know and I can post some. But essentially I think the main issue is how do I have a legend of the different Identifiers and then a custom one called Composite (instead of completed1, completed2, etc.)

1 REPLY 1
Anonymous
Not applicable

@djones - It will work if you create a separate measure for each Identifier. It doesn't seem ideal, but could be OK if there is a known, small number of identifiers. 

Alternatively, you could layer two line charts on top of each other, but then the bottom one won't be interactive at all.

Cheers!

Nathan

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.