Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

IMK
Helper I
Helper I

Trying to calculate NPS (Net Promoter Score) via custom calculated column

Hi

I am trying to find a correct formula syntax to calculate NPS score (Net Promoter Score).

I know how the formula goes in paper but I can't figure out the correct syntax to place in the custom calculated column.

Below I will write the calculation. I would appreciate if someone could help me to find the correct formula syntax.

I have a column that contains grades given by customers from 0-10. There may be some row's where there is no grade and these row's should not be in the overall calculation.

NPS Score Calculation:

Example: If you received 100 responses to your survey:

10 responses were in the 0–6 range (Detractors)

20 responses were in the 7–8 range (Passives)

70 responses were in the 9–10 range (Promoters)

(Number of Promoters — Number of Detractors) / (Number of Respondents) x 100

When you calculate the percentages for each group, you get 10%, 20%, and 70% respectively.

To finish up, subtract 10% (Detractors) from 70% (Promoters), which equals 60%. Since an example Net Promoter Score is always shown as just an integer and not a percentage, your NPS is simply 60. (And yes, you can have a negative NPS, as your score can range from -100 to +100.)

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

I have finally got a working syntax for my needs..

Calculating NPS Net Promoter Score using Power BI:

When the Column with NPS grades are named "Grades", following works:

Modeling -tab -> New Column

Column =
IF (
    ISBLANK ( 'Table1'[Grades] );
    "Tyhja";
    SWITCH (
        TRUE ();
        'Table1'[Grades] >= 0
            && 'Table1'[Grades] <= 6; "Detractors";
        'Table1'[Grades] = 7
            || 'Table1'[Grades] = 8; "Passives";
        'Table1'[Grades] = 9
            || 'Table1'[Grades] = 10; "Promoters"
    )
)

Modeling -tab -> New Measure

NPS = var NumOfRespon= CALCULATE (
    COUNTA ( Table1[Grades] );
    FILTER ( Table1; Table1[Grades] <> BLANK () || Table1[Grades] = 0 )
)
return 
(CALCULATE(COUNTA(Table1[Respondents]),FILTER('Table1','Table1'[Column]="Promoters"))/NumOfRespon-CALCULATE(COUNTA(Table1[Respondents]),FILTER('Table1','Table1'[Column]="Detractors"))/NumOfRespon) *100

This syntax will ignore all empty cells (rows) in the grades column and do not include empty's in the NumOfRespon which is used as divider for the final NPS score.

View solution in original post

16 REPLIES 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

I suggest looking at the following article https://www.displayr.com/nps-recoding/ where it basically says to create a column with values -100, 0 or 100 depending if the score on the surveys corresponds to a detractor, promoter o passive. Then all you have to do is agregate that column by using the mean and you will always get the correct result.

Ingenious solution!

Any other method of doing it is simply wrong compared to the simplicity here

v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @IMK,

You can create a calculated column to return Detractors, Passives, Promoters values in a column, then create a measure return NPS:

Column = SWITCH(TRUE(),'Table1'[Grades]<=6,"Detractors",'Table1'[Grades]=7 ||'Table1'[Grades]=8, "Passives",'Table1'[Grades]=9 || 'Table1'[Grades]=10,"Promoters")

NPS = var NumOfRespon= CALCULATE(COUNTROWS('Table1'),ALL('Table1'))
return 
(CALCULATE(COUNTA(Table1[Respondents]),FILTER('Table1','Table1'[Column]="Promoters"))/NumOfRespon-CALCULATE(COUNTA(Table1[Respondents]),FILTER('Table1','Table1'[Column]="Detractors"))/NumOfRespon) /NumOfRespon *100

Please take a look at attached .pbix file.

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

Community Support Team _ Qiuyun Yu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

RespondentsGrades

Plz tell me How to find NPS for this

Thanks Qiuyun Yu, very helpful - I was just looking for a NPS solution too. I think this needs one correction though, as it is not returning the right value (NP Score from the given data should be 60, not 6). If you remove the last '/NumOfRespon' from the measure formula it works fine. Like this:

NPS = 
var NumOfRespon = CALCULATE(COUNTROWS('Table1'), ALL('Table1'))
return 
(CALCULATE(COUNTA(Table1[Respondents]), FILTER('Table1', 'Table1'[Column]="Promoters")) / NumOfRespon 
	- CALCULATE(COUNTA(Table1[Respondents]), FILTER('Table1', 'Table1'[Column]="Detractors")) / NumOfRespon)

BR,

Niina

I have finally got a working syntax for my needs..

Calculating NPS Net Promoter Score using Power BI:

When the Column with NPS grades are named "Grades", following works:

Modeling -tab -> New Column

Column =
IF (
    ISBLANK ( 'Table1'[Grades] );
    "Tyhja";
    SWITCH (
        TRUE ();
        'Table1'[Grades] >= 0
            && 'Table1'[Grades] <= 6; "Detractors";
        'Table1'[Grades] = 7
            || 'Table1'[Grades] = 8; "Passives";
        'Table1'[Grades] = 9
            || 'Table1'[Grades] = 10; "Promoters"
    )
)

Modeling -tab -> New Measure

COUNTA ( Table1[Grades] );
    FILTER ( Table1; Table1[Grades] <> BLANK () || Table1[Grades] = 0 )
)
return 
(CALCULATE(COUNTA(Table1[Respondents]),FILTER('Table1','Table1'[Column]="Promoters"))/NumOfRespon-CALCULATE(COUNTA(Table1[Respondents]),FILTER('Table1','Table1'[Column]="Detractors"))/NumOfRespon) *100

This syntax will ignore all empty cells (rows) in the grades column and do not include empty's in the NumOfRespon which is used as divider for the final NPS score.

What is Table1[Respondents] here? It is not referenced anywhere else

Anonymous
Not applicable

I've been using this and it does give me the correct NPS score but as I looked at the filter again today wouldn't it be filtering out all the '0' scores that were given from the NumOfRespon?  As the NPS scale is 0-10, 0 is a valied response that should be included.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Based on your formula, I've created an alternative that handles blanks correctly in the case where there are only Passives and no Promoters or Detractors.

NPS Score =
  VAR ResponseCount = COUNTA(SurveyResponse[Answer])
  VAR PromoterCount = COUNTAX(FILTER(SurveyResponse, [Answer] >= 9), [Answer])
  VAR DetractorCount = COUNTAX(FILTER(SurveyResponse, [Answer] <= 6), [Answer])

VAR Score = 0 + (PromoterCount - DetractorCount) / ResponseCount * 100

RETURN IF(NOT(ISBLANK(ResponseCount)), Score)

Anonymous
Not applicable

I had to make some changes to get this to work.  First, all the semi-colons in the column creation code needed to be changed to commas.  Second, in the code to create the NPS measure I had to change Table1[Respondants] to be the column that had my individual NPS scores.  I think in the original example, this would have been the Grades column, not the Respondants column which I could find no reference to in this example.  But, the logic seems to be sound.  Here is what I neded up with:

Column 2 = IF (
    ISBLANK ( 'Sheet1'[Brand NPS] ),
    "Tyhja",
    SWITCH (
        TRUE (),
        'Sheet1'[Brand NPS] >= 0
            && 'Sheet1'[Brand NPS] <= 6, "Detractors",
        'Sheet1'[Brand NPS] = 7
            || 'Sheet1'[Brand NPS] = 8, "Passives",
        'Sheet1'[Brand NPS] = 9
            || 'Sheet1'[Brand NPS] = 10, "Promoters"
    )
)

And

COUNTA ( Sheet1[Brand NPS] ),
    FILTER ( Sheet1, Sheet1[Brand NPS] <> BLANK () ||Sheet1[Brand NPS] = 0 )
)
return 
(CALCULATE(COUNTA(Sheet1[Brand NPS]),FILTER('Sheet1','Sheet1'[Column 2]="Promoters"))/NumOfRespon-CALCULATE(COUNTA(Sheet1[Brand NPS]),FILTER('Sheet1','Sheet1'[Column 2]="Detractors"))/NumOfRespon) *100

Note, that in my spreadsheet my individual NPS scores were the the Brand NPS column of Sheet1.  To use this example, you will need to change yours to match the name of the column you want to perform the NPS calculation on.

Good luck,

Anonymous
Not applicable

It's weird. For a long time this worked fine but now all my reports say: "The syntax for '"Detractors"' is incorrect." Any chance someone knows what's going on?

Anonymous
Not applicable

It's weird. For a long time this worked fine but now all my reports say: "The syntax for '"Detractors"' is incorrect." Any chance someone knows what's going on?

Hello

Can u tell me what is "Tyhja" means in ur formula 

I must have mis-typed something because I could not get it to work.  But by trying to understand what each part did, I eventually came up with a less elegant solution. So thanks Qiuyun Yu-

NPS = ((calculate(counta('R&R Data'[Ticket Number]),filter('R&R Data','R&R Data'[Survey Type]="Promoter"))- calculate(counta('R&R Data'[Ticket Number]),filter('R&R Data','R&R Data'[Survey Type]="Detractor"))) /
(calculate(counta('R&R Data'[Ticket Number]),filter('R&R Data','R&R Data'[Survey Type]="Promoter"))+
calculate(counta('R&R Data'[Ticket Number]),filter('R&R Data','R&R Data'[Survey Type]="Detractor"))+
calculate(counta('R&R Data'[Ticket Number]),filter('R&R Data','R&R Data'[Survey Type]="Passive"))))

"Ticket Number" is number of responses and my data already had each rows Detractor, Passive or Promoter Type defined in column "Survey Type".

Regards,

Bruce

Thanks! Does this formula leave out row's with empty cell's so that they are not in the calculation at all?

How about this?

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.