Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

LairdLight
Frequent Visitor

Trying to achieve a filter equivalent to multiple relationships

Hi - I'm not sure if what I'm trying to do is achievable, I'm a novice at any kind of coding so any kind of help would be much appreciated....

I have a table with unique 'Application Group' values like this:

AppGroupSMEPhase
xJohn1
yLaura2
zSteve3

I then have a table with a row per integration between a source 'Application Group' and a destination 'Application Group' field, both of which are derived from the same 'Application Group' filed in the first table. Like this:

IntegrationSourceAppGroupDestinationAppGroup
d1xy
f1yx
f2yz
h7zx

I want to be able to filter my second table (and any associated visuals) using the application group field in the first table - where an application group appears as either a source or a destination. I've tried a few things but nothing I'm trying seems to work.

Thanks 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Phil_Seamark
Employee
Employee

Hi @LairdLight

This is a little rough but might be ok.

I created a new table based on your 2nd table but doubled the rows and introduced a Link column

Table 2 = UNION(
                    ADDCOLUMNS(Integration,"Link Column",'Integration'[SourceAppGroup]) ,
                    ADDCOLUMNS(Integration,"Link Column",'Integration'[DestinationAppGroup])
                )

This generates the following based on your sample data

multi join.png

I could then create a relationship from the new table to the slicer table using the new Link Column

link.png

Now on my report page, if I use a slicer over the Application Group, my visual based on the new table responds they way I think  you want it to.

slicer.png

To learn more about DAX visit : aka.ms/practicalDAX

Proud to be a Datanaut!

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Phil_Seamark
Employee
Employee

Hi @LairdLight

This is a little rough but might be ok.

I created a new table based on your 2nd table but doubled the rows and introduced a Link column

Table 2 = UNION(
                    ADDCOLUMNS(Integration,"Link Column",'Integration'[SourceAppGroup]) ,
                    ADDCOLUMNS(Integration,"Link Column",'Integration'[DestinationAppGroup])
                )

This generates the following based on your sample data

multi join.png

I could then create a relationship from the new table to the slicer table using the new Link Column

link.png

Now on my report page, if I use a slicer over the Application Group, my visual based on the new table responds they way I think  you want it to.

slicer.png

To learn more about DAX visit : aka.ms/practicalDAX

Proud to be a Datanaut!

Hi @Phil_Seamark

I've just applied your suggestion in my data model and it's definitely achieving the result I was aiming for.

Thanks very much for taking the time to solve this, much appreciated.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.