Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

LairdLight
Frequent Visitor

Trying to achieve a filter equivalent to multiple relationships

Hi - I'm not sure if what I'm trying to do is achievable, I'm a novice at any kind of coding so any kind of help would be much appreciated....

I have a table with unique 'Application Group' values like this:

AppGroupSMEPhase
xJohn1
yLaura2
zSteve3

I then have a table with a row per integration between a source 'Application Group' and a destination 'Application Group' field, both of which are derived from the same 'Application Group' filed in the first table. Like this:

IntegrationSourceAppGroupDestinationAppGroup
d1xy
f1yx
f2yz
h7zx

I want to be able to filter my second table (and any associated visuals) using the application group field in the first table - where an application group appears as either a source or a destination. I've tried a few things but nothing I'm trying seems to work.

Thanks 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Phil_Seamark
Employee
Employee

Hi @LairdLight

This is a little rough but might be ok.

I created a new table based on your 2nd table but doubled the rows and introduced a Link column

Table 2 = UNION(
                    ADDCOLUMNS(Integration,"Link Column",'Integration'[SourceAppGroup]) ,
                    ADDCOLUMNS(Integration,"Link Column",'Integration'[DestinationAppGroup])
                )

This generates the following based on your sample data

multi join.png

I could then create a relationship from the new table to the slicer table using the new Link Column

link.png

Now on my report page, if I use a slicer over the Application Group, my visual based on the new table responds they way I think  you want it to.

slicer.png

To learn more about DAX visit : aka.ms/practicalDAX

Proud to be a Datanaut!

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Phil_Seamark
Employee
Employee

Hi @LairdLight

This is a little rough but might be ok.

I created a new table based on your 2nd table but doubled the rows and introduced a Link column

Table 2 = UNION(
                    ADDCOLUMNS(Integration,"Link Column",'Integration'[SourceAppGroup]) ,
                    ADDCOLUMNS(Integration,"Link Column",'Integration'[DestinationAppGroup])
                )

This generates the following based on your sample data

multi join.png

I could then create a relationship from the new table to the slicer table using the new Link Column

link.png

Now on my report page, if I use a slicer over the Application Group, my visual based on the new table responds they way I think  you want it to.

slicer.png

To learn more about DAX visit : aka.ms/practicalDAX

Proud to be a Datanaut!

Hi @Phil_Seamark

I've just applied your suggestion in my data model and it's definitely achieving the result I was aiming for.

Thanks very much for taking the time to solve this, much appreciated.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.