Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

yyu
Employee
Employee

Truncated legends: Line chart cannot display all legends

Background: We are developing a report that can be customized by viewers. This includes allowing the viewer to custom the vertical axis and legend in the line chart.

(In consideration of compliance, part of the information in the picture is hidden)

Problems:

In a line chart with legends, if there are many values ​​for the legend, PowerBI will automatically truncate the legends in alphabetical order, and only display the legend and the corresponding line in the alphabetical order, which will significantly mislead the viewer. Legends with lower rankings may not be displayed at all even if they have larger values as below.

There is a metrix "Value" we want to show by "Calendar" and "SomeMetrix" which is lengends in this line chart. The pie chart on the right shows the percentage of each legend, where the "R..."s has the max percentage for Value. But PowerBI will automatically truncate the legends in alphabetical order, and only display the legend and the corresponding line in the alphabetical order. So the linechart even doesn't show the line for "R..."s. 

yyu_0-1601462546570.png

I know that by setting a filter on the line chart, only the legend that makes the vertical axis sort Top N can be displayed.  

yyu_0-1601464169050.png

But in our scenario, when viewers watch in PowerBI Service, we want them to customize the vertical axis and the legend. The custom of this filter requires every viewer to have editing permissions, which is unrealistic for us.

Therefore, our needs can be summarized as:
(1) Is there a way to configure PowerBI to make the line chart display all the legends and the corresponding line, even if the legend has many values?
(2) If truncation cannot be avoided, is there a way to configure PowerBI so that the line chart can automatically select the legend with the larger vertical axis instead of truncating according to the alphabetical order.

3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi!

I have similar problem and fix it by coincidence

How: 

Step 1: Make new table with 1 column using formula Calendar (Dates according your prefference) and call "Calendar Date"

Step 2: Make relationship between "Calendar Date" and Column with date of your original table

If you already made this when you begin your PBI dashboard you only need go TABLE view and refres formula Calendar with dates again (PBI will update links and everything) you can come to see main chart and this time all legends will be visible 

v-jayw-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @yyu ,

I'm not very clear about the scenario you described, can you share some screenshots?

Best Regards,

Jay

Community Support Team _ Jay
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution
to help the other members find it.

Thank you for your reply, I very much hope to get further help.

In order to explain my question more clearly, I updated the question and added pictures.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.