cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Microsoft
Microsoft

Truncated legends: Line chart cannot display all legends

Background: We are developing a report that can be customized by viewers. This includes allowing the viewer to custom the vertical axis and legend in the line chart.

(In consideration of compliance, part of the information in the picture is hidden)

Problems:

In a line chart with legends, if there are many values ​​for the legend, PowerBI will automatically truncate the legends in alphabetical order, and only display the legend and the corresponding line in the alphabetical order, which will significantly mislead the viewer. Legends with lower rankings may not be displayed at all even if they have larger values as below.

There is a metrix "Value" we want to show by "Calendar" and "SomeMetrix" which is lengends in this line chart. The pie chart on the right shows the percentage of each legend, where the "R..."s has the max percentage for Value. But PowerBI will automatically truncate the legends in alphabetical order, and only display the legend and the corresponding line in the alphabetical order. So the linechart even doesn't show the line for "R..."s. 

yyu_0-1601462546570.png

I know that by setting a filter on the line chart, only the legend that makes the vertical axis sort Top N can be displayed.  

yyu_0-1601464169050.png

But in our scenario, when viewers watch in PowerBI Service, we want them to customize the vertical axis and the legend. The custom of this filter requires every viewer to have editing permissions, which is unrealistic for us.

Therefore, our needs can be summarized as:
(1) Is there a way to configure PowerBI to make the line chart display all the legends and the corresponding line, even if the legend has many values?
(2) If truncation cannot be avoided, is there a way to configure PowerBI so that the line chart can automatically select the legend with the larger vertical axis instead of truncating according to the alphabetical order.

2 REPLIES 2
Highlighted
Community Support
Community Support

Re: Truncated legends: Line chart cannot display all legends

Hi @yyu ,

I'm not very clear about the scenario you described, can you share some screenshots?

Best Regards,

Jay

Community Support Team _ Jay
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it.
Highlighted
Microsoft
Microsoft

Re: Truncated legends: Line chart cannot display all legends

Thank you for your reply, I very much hope to get further help.

In order to explain my question more clearly, I updated the question and added pictures.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Community Conference

Power Platform Community Conference

Check out the on demand sessions that are available now!

Community Conference

Microsoft Power Platform Communities

Check out the Winners!

secondImage

Power Platform 2020 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2020 through March 2021

Tech Marathon

Maratón de Soluciones de Negocio Microsoft

Una semana de contenido con +100 sesiones educativas, consultorios, +10 workshops Premium, Hackaton, EXPO, Networking Hall y mucho más!

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (885)