Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

irnm8dn
Post Prodigy
Post Prodigy

True / False seen as Text Column - DAX Help!!!!

In my dataset, I have added an additional column that ouputs True, False or (blank).  Upon import, PBI sees it as text and I can't convert it to True/False in either Query Editor or in Data (left-rail).

The end goal is to write a DAX statement that interprets the value of True as "Complete" or False as "Incomplete".

When I add a function like:

Column 2 = IF('KPI Dashboard AD'[(Campaign) Creative Concierge]=True(),"Complete","False"

)

I get the following result:

DAX comparison operations do not support comparing values of type Text with values of type True/False. Consider using the VALUE or FORMAT function to convert one of the values.

Not sure what to do here...

8 REPLIES 8
tjd
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

In the data view, use the Modeling ribbon and select "Data Type" and change the column to True/False.

@tjd

Thanks for the feedback.

When I change the Data Type I receive this window:

Data Type.PNG

And then I receive an error message that "We can't automatically cvonvert the column to True/False type.

Any thoughts.

@tjd

The columns have "Text" values of True, Flase (and blank).

tjd
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

I'd try converting them on input to 0/1 and null and then see if they will convert to logical after inputting.

@tjd

Not sure that is an ideal solution.

Here's a little more context.

This column is newly added.  Like columns, from an earlier verision of the dataset, import as True/False - this one doesn't.  When I re-import in a NEW .pbix file, it imports with the correct format.

Not sure why I can't convert this one, or why a fresh "Get Data" works properly.  Would prefer not to rebuild the dashboards if possible.

Hi @irnm8dn,

Have you resolved your issue? If you have, welcome to share your solution or mark the right reply as answer. More people will benefit from here.

Best Regards,
Angelia

Hi @irnm8dn,

This might be fixed if you go into the query editor and see what automatic transformations Power BI makes when you import them,  please eliminate the step and and check if it works fine.

If your data type can't be converted to True/False type, you can change your DAX as follows, it might work correctly.

Column 2 = IF('KPI Dashboard AD'[(Campaign) Creative Concierge]="True","Complete","False"
)

Best Regards,
Angelia

tjd
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

Does the column currently say "0" or "1" or "True"/"False"?  I believe that it has to be in 0/1 format to change to True/False.  What's 0 (True) depends on the question being asked in the column - e.g, if column heading is "Is Current?", then 0 would be true and 1 would be false.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.