Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

jpbi
Regular Visitor

True/False DAX query

I have 3 three tables (see image at bottom of question) which represent a list of students belonging to a developer community, the universities they attend and if they have a PHD or not (0 if yes, 1 if no).

What I want to do is produce a report that has a list of universities and TRUE or FALSE depending on whether they have any PHD students or not. So, in this example snippet, the output report would be two universities - "Zurich" - "TRUE", "Edinburgh" "FALSE".

What query could I use to generate the values for this PHD true/false column? The issue i'm having is I don't know how to write such a query to cover 3 tables. Help would be much appreciated.

snip.PNG

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
judspud
Solution Supplier
Solution Supplier

Hi @jpbi 

As long as your tables are all connected properly the mesaure should span across them with no problems.

Im assuming your tables follow the relationships below

Universities to StudentUniversities on the University column

StudentUniversities to Students on the Student column

If so, then a measure as below should work:

if(sum(Students[phd])>0,True(),False)

Place into a table the name column from the Universities table and the measure and you should have the result you requested 🙂

Hope this helps

Thanks,

George

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
judspud
Solution Supplier
Solution Supplier

Hi @jpbi 

As long as your tables are all connected properly the mesaure should span across them with no problems.

Im assuming your tables follow the relationships below

Universities to StudentUniversities on the University column

StudentUniversities to Students on the Student column

If so, then a measure as below should work:

if(sum(Students[phd])>0,True(),False)

Place into a table the name column from the Universities table and the measure and you should have the result you requested 🙂

Hope this helps

Thanks,

George

@jpbi few question before post the solution:

in student univesity table, does each student can be only in one university or multiple university?

in student table, I assume each student is a unique row.

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂
Feel free to email me with any of your BI needs.

@parry2k wrote:

@jpbifew question before post the solution:

in student univesity table, does each student can be only in one university or multiple university?

in student table, I assume each student is a unique row.

A student can only be part of one university.

And yes correct, each student is unique row 

@jpbi solution proposed by @judspud will work.

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂
Feel free to email me with any of your BI needs.

Thanks for your help @judspud @parry2k 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors