Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

jbrinker
Frequent Visitor

Troubleshooting TotalMTD showing Blank

I am having trouble doing what should be a very simple Measure using the TotalMTD formula.  Below is a Measure which sums sales order data and I am trying to show the month to date value. 

Bookings MTD = TOTALMTD(SUM(SalesOrders[ompFullOrderSubtotalBase]),'Calendar'[Date])

I have a table called Calendar which is used as my dates table.  This contains a continuous set of days in the Date column.

calendar table.png

This is the relevant data from the SalesOrders table.

sales table.png

This is the relationship between the Calendar and SalesOrders tables.

relationships.png

I think it has something to do with the date field but cannot figure out the problem.  Doing that exact same measure using TOTALYTD and TOTALQTD works as expected. 

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@jbrinker wrote:

My problem is that my Calendar table had dates populated for the full 2017 calendar year (through December).  The MTD calculation I believe uses the last month from the Calendar table which would be December.  Currently December has no Sales data therefore it is displaying Blank in the Card visual.  If I change the query on the Calendar table to only show to November 2017 everything works as expected but I don't want to have to update that each month.

Could you not change the query so it looks at the local date and removes dates from your calendar table that are greater than it (like in this post - https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/Filter-rows-in-query-editor-up-to-current-date/td-p/34124)? Would save you having to modify it monthly

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
SingSong
Frequent Visitor

I have also recently run into the same problem, but the solution of restricting the calendar to today does not fit my needs as I also have to provide forecasting information for future dates from the same data model i.e. I have plan data for the future in there too.

The solution I came up with was to create an aditional calculated column on my calendar table with true or false for Beforetoday  Before Today= If('Calendar'[Date] < Today(),True,False)

I then filter the MTD calculation

Bookings MTD:= Calculate(TOTALMTD(SUM(SalesOrders[ompFullOrderSubtotalBase]),'Calendar'[Date]),FILTER('Calendar','Calendar'[Before Today]=True))

This seems to work well for my needs where future dates are required.

SingSong

jpt1228
Responsive Resident
Responsive Resident

Hello @SingSong  This was a simple and brilliant solution to my issue of custom fiscal period calculations for running totals. By using your suggestion of filtering the page on is before today "Y" all my custom time period calculations work for Fiscal - Year, Period, Week.

The solution I came up with was to create an aditional calculated column on my calendar table with true or false for Beforetoday  Before Today= If('Calendar'[Date] < Today(),True,False)

v-huizhn-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @jbrinker,

Please change the filter to "both", and check if it works fine.

1.PNG6.PNG

I use the function and get expected result.

Year-to-Day = TOTALYTD(SUM(Sales[SALE]),'Calendar'[DATE])
Year-to-month = CALCULATE(SUM(Sales[SALE]),DATESMTD('Calendar'[Date])) Year-to-Quarter = TOTALQTD(SUM(Sales[SALE]),'Sales'[DATE])

expected resultexpected result
Please download the attachment file(expected result page) to check more information.

Best Regards,
Angelia 

Hi @v-huizhn-msft,

Thanks for the proposed solution and sample files.  I did take a look at the files and tried your suggestion. Unfortunatly that did not solve the problem but did help me to do some further troubleshooting.

Your example file it pulls in the MTD data for July 2015 which is the last dates you have populated in your Calendar table.  Everything works as expected. 

My problem is that my Calendar table had dates populated for the full 2017 calendar year (through December).  The MTD calculation I believe uses the last month from the Calendar table which would be December.  Currently December has no Sales data therefore it is displaying Blank in the Card visual.  If I change the query on the Calendar table to only show to November 2017 everything works as expected but I don't want to have to update that each month.

How can I create a measure for MTD that uses the current month? 

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Jeff

Are you using CALENDARAUTO() ?

You could create a dynamic calendar that goes until today:

date = CALCULATETABLE(
                  CALENDAR(Min(TABLE[DATE]),
                 TODAY() 
             )

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! Proud to be a Super User!

Connect with me!
Stay up to date on  
Read my blogs on  

@SteveCampbell Genius! thanks

Or if you wanted until end of current month:

Date =
CALCULATETABLE (
    CALENDAR (
        MIN ( Table[date] ),
         DATE ( YEAR ( TODAY () )MONTH ( TODAY () ) + 11 )  - 1   )
     )

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! Proud to be a Super User!

Connect with me!
Stay up to date on  
Read my blogs on  

@jbrinker wrote:

Could you not change the query so it looks at the local date and removes dates from your calendar table that are greater than it (like in this post - https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/Filter-rows-in-query-editor-up-to-current-date/td-p/34124)? Would save you having to modify it monthly

Thanks for the suggestion as that worked great and solved the problem.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors