Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

BH22One
Helper I
Helper I

Trouble with SAMEPERIODLASTYEAR function

Hello,

I am attempting to use the "SAMEPERIODLASTYEAR" function in my report but can't seem to get it to work correctly. My sample data set is below (The table name is FACT). My Formula is 

LY Units = CALCULATE(SUM('FACT'[UNITS]),SAMEPERIODLASTYEAR('FACT'[DATE])). Using this formula, I have been attempting to make a chart where you see the total units for 2020-Q1 and next to it the units for the same period last year. Currently when I do so the cell for same period last year is blank. I don't receive an error in the calculation but I don't get any values.

YEARQUARTERMONTHDATEUNITSCATEGORY
2020Q11Saturday, January 4, 2020300Juice
2020Q11Saturday, January 11, 2020200Juice
2020Q11Saturday, January 18, 2020400Juice
2020Q11Saturday, January 25, 2020100Juice
2019Q11Saturday, January 5, 2019100Juice
2019Q11Saturday, January 12, 2019400Juice
2019Q11Saturday, January 19, 2019600Juice
2019Q11Saturday, January 26, 2019200Juice
2020Q11Saturday, January 4, 20203000Soda
2019Q11Saturday, January 5, 20192000Soda
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
V-lianl-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @BH22One ,

After my test, the date in the data you provided is different every year, which is the reason for the blank value. But the calculation performs well in the bar chart.

test_sameperiodlastyear.PNG

Or you can customize time intelligence functions like this:

Result =
VAR Previous_Year =
    DATE ( YEAR ( MAX ( 'Table'[DATE] ) ) - 1, MONTH ( MAX ( 'Table'[DATE] ) ), DAY ( MAX ( 'Table'[DATE] ) ) + 1 )
RETURN
    CALCULATE (
        SUM ( 'Table'[UNITS] ),
        FILTER (
            ALLEXCEPT ( 'Table', 'Table'[CATEGORY] ),
            'Table'[DATE] = Previous_Year
        )
    )

test_Trouble with SAMEPERIODLASTYEAR function.PNG

Sample .pbix

Best Regards,
Liang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
V-lianl-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @BH22One ,

After my test, the date in the data you provided is different every year, which is the reason for the blank value. But the calculation performs well in the bar chart.

test_sameperiodlastyear.PNG

Or you can customize time intelligence functions like this:

Result =
VAR Previous_Year =
    DATE ( YEAR ( MAX ( 'Table'[DATE] ) ) - 1, MONTH ( MAX ( 'Table'[DATE] ) ), DAY ( MAX ( 'Table'[DATE] ) ) + 1 )
RETURN
    CALCULATE (
        SUM ( 'Table'[UNITS] ),
        FILTER (
            ALLEXCEPT ( 'Table', 'Table'[CATEGORY] ),
            'Table'[DATE] = Previous_Year
        )
    )

test_Trouble with SAMEPERIODLASTYEAR function.PNG

Sample .pbix

Best Regards,
Liang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

@V-lianl-msft Thanks for your input. This solution works perfectly in my report. I did however make a few tweaks to get it to work the way I anticipated. Instead of using a Max Date as a variable, I used the max year - 1 as a variable. This allows me to do a YoY comparison for multiple years.

amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@BH22One , Always date calendar in such case

Other options

YTD Sales = CALCULATE(SUM(Sales[Sales Amount]),DATESYTD(('Date'[Date]),"12/31"))
This Sales = CALCULATE(SUM(Sales[Sales Amount]),DATESYTD((ENDOFYEAR('Date'[Date])),"12/31"))

Last YTD Sales = CALCULATE(SUM(Sales[Sales Amount]),DATESYTD(dateadd('Date'[Date],-1,Year),"12/31"))
Last YTD complete Sales = CALCULATE(SUM(Sales[Sales Amount]),DATESYTD(ENDOFYEAR(dateadd('Date'[Date],-1,Year)),"12/31"))

Last to last YTD Sales = CALCULATE(SUM(Sales[Sales Amount]),DATESYTD(dateadd('Date'[Date],-2,Year),"12/31"))

Year behind Sales = CALCULATE(SUM(Sales[Sales Amount]),dateadd('Date'[Date],-1,Year))

To get the best of the time intelligence function. Make sure you have a date calendar and it has been marked as the date in model view. Also, join it with the date column of your fact/s. Refer :
https://radacad.com/creating-calendar-table-in-power-bi-using-dax-functions
https://www.archerpoint.com/blog/Posts/creating-date-table-power-bi
https://www.sqlbi.com/articles/creating-a-simple-date-table-in-dax/

See if my webinar on Time Intelligence can help: https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Webinars-and-Video-Gallery/PowerBI-Time-Intelligence-Calendar-WTD-Y...

Appreciate your Kudos.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.