Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

mcraine15
Regular Visitor

Trouble with MS Access Large Number Format

Hi,

I'm having trouble accessing a relatively large dataset (~1.5GB) stored in Microsoft Access 2016 with several fields (~30) formatted as Large Numbers. The error message I receive when attempting to access the database is "The database you are trying to open requires a newer version of Microsoft Access." I do not receive this message with databases that do not contain Large Number formatted fields.

I'm running the latest versions of Power BI (January update), MS Access (version 16.0.8xxx) and MS Access database engine 2016. All of this runs at 32 bit. 

Can anyone provide a workaround or solution to avoid this error message? Solutions I've tried include:

1. Changing field type from Large Numbers to just "Numbers": won't work because it deletes or cuts off certain key datapoints.
  2. Updating computer, office software and power bi: as mentioned, I have updated all software to latest versions available

Thanks in advance for the help!

2 REPLIES 2
v-xjiin-msft
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

@mcraine15

I can repro your issue as creating a MS Access table which is containing a large number field. When use it as a data source in Power BI. I got the same error. And my environment is same as yours.

11.PNG22.PNG

It seems like this is a limitation for Access Database.

Thanks,
Xi Jin.

mcraine15
Regular Visitor

Hi,

I'm having trouble accessing a relatively large dataset (~1.5GB) stored in Microsoft Access 2016 with several fields (~30) formatted as Large Numbers. The error message I receive when attempting to access the database is "The database you are trying to open requires a newer version of Microsoft Access." I do not receive this message with databases that do not contain Large Number formatted fields.

I'm running the latest versions of Power BI (January update), MS Access (version 16.0.8xxx) and MS Access database engine 2016. All of this runs at 32 bit. 

Can anyone provide a workaround or solution to avoid this error message? Solutions I've tried include:

1. Changing field type from Large Numbers to just "Numbers": won't work because it deletes or cuts off certain key datapoints.
  2. Updating computer, office software and power bi: as mentioned, I have updated all software to latest versions available

Thanks in advance for the help!

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.