Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

David283
Helper I
Helper I

Trouble with IFF and SUM of multiple lines in a group

Hello all, I am new to paginated reports. 

I am working on a time report and having a weird issue. I am building a report that lists each employee and their time, grouped by date and location.  Each person will have a number of hours worked over several days, and the times can have different types such as REG, OT, VAC and such.  I then want to do totals for each type of hours for each employee and grand totals at the end.

Here is what my design view looks like :

David283_0-1655910288161.png

The expressions above are  

=Sum(IIF(Fields!cr242_typeworked.Value="REG",Fields!cr242_hoursworked.Value,0))

=Sum(IIF(Fields!cr242_typeworked.Value="OT",Fields!cr242_hoursworked.Value,0))

And so on.  The totals below are the same expressions.

The problem I am having is that when I run the report, every thing works fine if the employee ony has one type of time for the report date range.  So if all their time is REG or VAC then the totals work.  But if they have a mix of time types, like REG and OT, then those sums show as errors.

Sample output =

David283_1-1655910900116.png

As you can see, the second employee worked fine, but the first one did not.  Any guess what is causing this?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @David283,

I'm not so sure about the corresponding row value data types, perhaps you can try to add the VAL function to convert these values to numbers before aggregating.

Val Function (microsoft.com)

=Sum(VAL(IIF(Fields!cr242_typeworked.Value="REG",Fields!cr242_hoursworked.Value,0)))

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
David283
Helper I
Helper I

Wow, ok, I have no idea why that worked, but it did.  Thank you very much!

v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @David283,

I'm not so sure about the corresponding row value data types, perhaps you can try to add the VAL function to convert these values to numbers before aggregating.

Val Function (microsoft.com)

=Sum(VAL(IIF(Fields!cr242_typeworked.Value="REG",Fields!cr242_hoursworked.Value,0)))

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.